Quatrefoil Trade Token

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
1489284507270.jpg

Recovered from cornfield that was a mining camp/town in operation from approximately 1880's until 1920's.

I believe it's brass. Says, "Good for 5c in trade". Back, "W.M. Sullivan".

It's so worn and toasty I had to break out the art supplies and rub it.

Looked high and low at hundreds of Iowa trade tokens with no match.

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 16

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice token find, and that was a smart was to reveal the details! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Hold the phone!

The Davenport, WA token is not the same as this one. It is a Brunswick piece, plus it is Wm. as in William, not W. M. Plus, with a name like Sullivan, there are other possibilities for an attribution - and we may never be really sure which is correct. Tokencatalog shows Fraser, IA and Houston, TX as other towns where there was an appropriate business with that name.

Henderson's IA book does not picture it, but it describes a token that matches this one as near as I can tell. Fraser #295 and gives listings in directories for Wm Sullivan - Billiards - 1903-04. TC-257725 and it does need an image.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Pow! Dropping a lot of knowledge in that post. I'll do my best to find a bit more on Fraser, Ia. and any Sullivan whom may have resided there operating a business?

And this is a billiards token? I wonder if it was just brought to the camp and lost or if they had a billiards table set up in a saloon or recreation hall. Cool mystery.

Thanks you.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Was this mining camp where you found it anywhere near Fraser? It could well have been a billiards token - aside from the ones that say billiards or pool, there is no real defining characteristic of them. They come in all shapes and sizes. And, many saloons had billiard and card tables - anything to bring in some extra income. I checked my copy of Ferguson's IA tokens book, the one that was before Henderson's, and Sullivan is not in it. I will check with Henderson to see if he agrees yours is what he lists.

John
Pow! Dropping a lot of knowledge in that post. I'll do my best to find a bit more on Fraser, Ia. and any Sullivan whom may have resided there operating a business?

And this is a billiards token? I wonder if it was just brought to the camp and lost or if they had a billiards table set up in a saloon or recreation hall. Cool mystery.

Thanks you.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Was this mining camp where you found it anywhere near Fraser? It could well have been a billiards token - aside from the ones that say billiards or pool, there is no real defining characteristic of them. They come in all shapes and sizes. And, many saloons had billiard and card tables - anything to bring in some extra income. I checked my copy of Ferguson's IA tokens book, the one that was before Henderson's, and Sullivan is not in it. I will check with Henderson to see if he agrees yours is what he lists.

John

The closest town is Granger. North of there in Boone county. thank you for the help.

Went out today and found another different token. will post tonight

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys sure did a lot of research to try to identify that Token and it's origins.
Congrats on the find and the research.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys sure did a lot of research to try to identify that Token and it's origins.
Congrats on the find and the research.

No doubt Tnet rocks!

And a big thank you very much to the history detectives freely researching a find that is not even their own. So grateful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread