Queen Elizabeth I 1561 Six Pence

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
I've found my fair share of silver coins and a couple of Gold over this past couple of years. It took me nearly a year from starting this hobby before I found my first hammered coin (milled coins appeared first during Elizabeth I reign and gradually took over from hammered by the end of the 17th century.) There is something just special about the hammered's though, they are my bread and butter so to speak as a detectorist in England.
Anyway, the first hammered i found was this Elizabeth I six pence. It was only a few inches below the surface in an otherwise desolate field and gave out a banging signal. I only cleaned it with tepid water such was its condition and I've never since found a hammered in such pristine condition, not even clipped which was a major issue.
I would never sell it...or at least be reluctant at a price I couldn't ignore.... but as far as hammy's go it has to be VF if not EF.
Any ideas what kind of price I coin in this condition could fetch?

Attachments

• 20221003_222126.jpg
    20221003_222126.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221003_222021.jpg
    20221003_222021.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Thanks for that pal.
But - and I've never tried to sell a coin on eBay - I take theor prices and often identification with a huge pinch of salt.
Even so and you may disagree but the one I found is of even finer quality than thus. As far as i can see, as EF a hammered coin can get.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that pal.
But - and I've never tried to sell a coin on eBay - I take theor prices and often identification with a huge pinch of salt.
Even so and you may disagree but the one I found is of even finer quality than thus. As far as i can see, as EF a hammered coin can get.
tn_metal_detector.gif
I agree with ya completely. At least you know yours will be worth a bunch more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread