Queen of Buffalos and King of Wheats

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather has been cold and cruddy the last few days, so I swung by the bank and picked up a box of nickels and a box of pennies to look through. We sorted through the nickels last night, and she kicked my but. I found the first buffalo, and was feeling pretty good about my self, even though it was dateless and NASTY dirty. Then she started in with a 2009D, the 2009P I needed to fill the last slot in that book. Then she pulled a buffalo that close examination showed to be a 1919 - the oldest coin we'd found roll hunting! Next was the 1971 I needed to finish out THAT book, and then ANOTHER dateless buffalo for her... Mean while I got NADA... The one upside was that I looked in to what to do with dateless buffalos, and decided to try and some vinegar and peroxide to try and recover the dates. Hers is looking like a 1918, and mine not only cleaned up nice... but it is looking like.... a.... 1913!!

Then tonight we dove in to the box of pennies tonight. She did manage to pull the 2009P (Statehouse) and 2012P I needed, but I was the one who scored all 3 wheats!! 1946, 1957D and 1958D. Plus we also pulled 5 Canadian coppers and a yet to be counted amount of US copper (I'd guess around $3). Now I just need to figure out where to sell those off. Not a bad 2 boxes... :thumbsup:

I'll get some pics up once I get the dates off the buffs.

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice box of nickels! Did you search for the silver war nickels from 1942-1945? That stinks that our penny box only had 3 wheats. I usually average between 8-10 wheats per box. I usually get about 5-10 2009 pennies as well. Last week I was able to pull a pretty worn 1914 wheatie, to bad it didn't have a D mint mark or else I would have made some decent money on it.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, for some reason I had a 1 wheat average in my head, so I was pretty happy with 3. Do you save all the 2009 pennies? I have been saving the dimes and nickels since they are a low mintage compared to other recent years in the hope that when I kick the can my kid/grandkids/great-grandkids will find crazy Grandpa August's box for near mint 2009 nickels and dimes worth a small fortune :rolleyes: But from what I saw, the TOTAL mintage of 2009 pennies was pretty close to normal, and the 4 styles were just 1/4 of that total. I know that makes them somewhat less common, but I wasn't sure they would be worth holding on to. I want to dive in to pennies more, but I also hold on to all the copper cents, and since I have yet to find someone interested in buying them, I haven't wanted to get my CRH funds "tied up in inventory" until I do. Once I get done with all the family gatherings around the holidays, I'm going to bit the bullet and do my first ebay listings... may put those on there as well.

Yea, we keep an eye out for silver, but have yet to pull any from 3 boxes of nickels and almost a box of dimes (46 rolls). I did find a 1942 nickel that had me REALLY excited, until I figured out that no mint mark above Monticello meant no silver...

Last edited:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I save 2009 nickels and dimes, and they seem pretty hard overall to find. I do NOT save 2009 pennies, and they are in every single box I get. tells me they will never dry up and be hard to find. I kept one roll uncirculated of each way back when, but don't even think that is worth it. WIll probably release them into the wild at some point. Just the nickels and dimes form 2009 though.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do save the 2009 cents. I probably only have a few rolls worth. I try and only save the decent looking ones. I figure it can't hurt to have 2 or 3 dollars tied up in a few rolls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread