Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several 1969 D Lincoln cents that have weak FG's, smudges where the FG is supposed to be and a bruise where the FG is supposed to be. Before I spend the time to go through about 4 to 500 more of them I would appreciate if our resident experts could educate me on what exactly qualifies as a "no FG". I've seen graded examples that are labeled as "no FG" that clearly show enough of the engravers initials (with a digital microscope) to be identifiable. Also, as a variety, do they have enough value to pursue..........
Thank you and am very grateful for any and all pertinent information.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, huntsman53. The coins I'm searching through are from circulation and the best grade might be AU +/-. Wish my coins were MS +/-!!
And, I'm still not quite sure what qualifies as "no FG".............

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for those links.

Most of those high values are for the higher grade (MS67).
And most are dropping as more are getting slabbed. one PCGS MS66+ went from $176.25 (11/9/2015) to $67 on 3/26/2018 (different coin, same grade)

MS67 took an even larger hit.
Funny how none graded MS67 were even sold till 4/2015. This might be the same timeline for PCGS loosening their standards. (to get more submissions?:icon_scratch:)

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, huntsman53. The coins I'm searching through are from circulation and the best grade might be AU +/-. Wish my coins were MS +/-!!
And, I'm still not quite sure what qualifies as "no FG".............

I would imagine that even AU-50 to AU-58 specimens of the error would fetch $40 to $70 in the raw. There would likely be some that fetch less and some that fetch more but that is the nature of the Coin Market and especially when it comes to Error and Variety Coins. Definitely not worth having them certified, graded and the Error attribution on the holder's label. I do not know what standard the Coin hobby and the Experts use to determine what qualifies as a no "FG" Cent but I would imagine that if it is not visible with the necked eye, then it likely qualifies. My standard if buying them, would be not visible with even 5x power magnification but that is just me.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is that absolutely none of the fg should be visible.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would imagine that even AU-50 to AU-58 specimens of the error would fetch $40 to $70 in the raw. There would likely be some that fetch less and some that fetch more but that is the nature of the Coin Market and especially when it comes to Error and Variety Coins. Definitely not worth having them certified, graded and the Error attribution on the holder's label. I do not know what standard the Coin hobby and the Experts use to determine what qualifies as a no "FG" Cent but I would imagine that if it is not visible with the necked eye, then it likely qualifies. My standard if buying them, would be not visible with even 5x power magnification but that is just me.

Thanks again, Frank. That information is very useful. I did sort through my '69d's last night and have 60+ examples that run the gambit from smudge, bruise and nothing. I also managed to get in touch with a local CONECA rep and have a meeting with him on Sunday afternoon. I'll take 3 examples to him and get clarification on what is and isn't according to the expert. That is fortunate because I also have several 1972 DDO's that I do not recognize on Variety Vista or Lincoln Resource Center that he can either verify as one of the 9 varieties listed or, perhaps, be new ones. I'll let you know the results next week.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's what I would expect, too, enamel. But, I have seen one slabbed that was labeled and graded as a "no FG" that I could faintly see with a 10x magnifier. Sadly, I don't recall the grading service.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

That should be the case but as we all know, the TPG's often relax their' qualifying standards of such Errors over time and especially for high grade examples. Also, as we all know, grading and qualifying standards can vary from one Grader/Attributor to the next and when one or more see that a well respected Grader/Attributor relaxes their' standards, then usually others follow suit.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want to join a forum like this one: Lincoln Cent Forum

Lincoln Cent Forum ?

They have some great stuff, many things you might not even heard about related to the US penny.

I have 1000s of wheat cents, Lincoln cents. Was pretty deep into them for a few years, that forum helped a ton.

Note: There was one old grumbly bustard on there that was a bit full of himself at the time, but he was smart as hell when it came to US cents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the CONECA rep I met with on Sunday, "no FG" means exactly that. No blemish, bruise or bump of metal should be visible even if letters cannot be identified within the lump. If a letter can be identified, no matter how faint, it does not qualify. So, that leaves me with 4 true "no FG"s and 6 "weak FGs.
He was rather intrigued with a couple of my '72 DDO's. More on that in the future..................................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread