Question about 2009 nickels

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone have any luck selling any to a coin shop? I know the mintage was under 100,000 for P, D, and S all together. Redbook's price isn't any higher than the rest of them though. Is there a demand for them at coin shops? If anyone has any idea if they are worth saving please let me know. I don't want to keep that many of them if I can trade up for some silver.

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone have any luck selling any to a coin shop? I know the mintage was under 100,000 for P, D, and S all together. Redbook's price isn't any higher than the rest of them though. Is there a demand for them at coin shops? If anyone has any idea if they are worth saving please let me know. I don't want to keep that many of them if I can trade up for some silver.

The mintage is less than a 100 million. I haven't sold my 2 2009 nickels, but I think they have no premium at a coin shop.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, sorry I left of a few zeros....hahaha, anyway, I see them on feebay with a pretty nice premium over face, but most of them don't have any bids.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Lowest mintage numbers on them in about 50 years. They were selling for about $20 a roll on Ebay last I looked. I keep em and don't find very many either.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
To be worth anything special there has to be demand greater than supply. Despite a relative low mintage (~35 million) they are not in low supply. If you look at the last time the mint put out less than 50 million of a type of nickel (1959 philly), they are not worth anything special as compared to the other nickels of that era.

Another way of looking at it:
In 1959 if you took $3 and bought
20 x 1959 philly nickels (MS63) and paid face,
2 x 1959 Ben Franklin halves (circulated) and paid face,
1 oz silver bar (spot silver was about $1/oz)

Fifty years later the silver is worth a lot more than the nickels.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too much of a demand for them, but I find them about as frequently as I do war nickels. Depending on the market on ebay, you can get a couple of bucks for a P & D nickel listed together. I still hold on to them though, its only a nickel and has nowhere to go but up as time goes by.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I find them to be rare, so I too keep them.

Although I find the 2009 dime to be HARDER to find. Significantly harder! I hvae numerous rolls of nickels, maybe 5 or 6, and yet less than one roll of dimes. So don't just stop with the nickels.

ALthough I do not collect the 2009 pennies. Too many made.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find them to be rare, so I too keep them.

Although I find the 2009 dime to be HARDER to find. Significantly harder! I hvae numerous rolls of nickels, maybe 5 or 6, and yet less than one roll of dimes. So don't just stop with the nickels.

ALthough I do not collect the 2009 pennies. Too many made.

That's strange! In my area, the 2009 dimes are fairly common (5-10 per box), so much so that I stopped keeping them as I have 2 rolls each of P & D. I am only averaging 1 to 2 2009 nickels per box. Cool to see what coins are harder to find based on your location.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
That's strange! In my area, the 2009 dimes are fairly common (5-10 per box), so much so that I stopped keeping them as I have 2 rolls each of P & D. I am only averaging 1 to 2 2009 nickels per box. Cool to see what coins are harder to find based on your location.

Same results for me. I am searching 4 boxes of dimes now, and I am almost to the point where I am throwing them back. I only have 2 nickels, a P (from roll) and a D (from vending machine).

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found so many 2009-D nicks that I end up chunking them back into the dump pile. Geez, should I really be keeping them as well?
HSH,
apush

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found so many 2009-D nicks that I end up chunking them back into the dump pile. Geez, should I really be keeping them as well?
HSH,
apush

I don't think so. Like the NIFC halves, I just don't see any future demand for them. Their mintage numbers are low compared to other years, but in terms of true rarity, the numbers aren't that low.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions