question about a cache

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There could be all KINDS of legal implications if you claim to have found something on your property. Your best bet is to keep all finds to yourself, and be VERY careful who you trust with any & all information!!

Bran <><

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
If you are the purchaser of said property there is no doubt that you bought the place with all of the bonuses as well as the problems.
If it were a problem that you were trying to give back to the old owner,
you can bet he would try like mad to get out from under it.
Don't say a word and just enjoy your findings. they are yours lock stock and pump handle.

Thom

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My teenage contemporaries and I were bantering our fantasies about the local females our age while working one of our hayfields one day.
My grandfather was foreman and mentor.After listening for a while he got tired of the speculation and gave us words to live by for life.
"Boys,there's some things ought to be done after dark and DAMN little said about them!"
Same goes for less/more meaningful treasures.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
gods country girl said:
if you found a cache on your own property , would it be yours?? would any of the previous owners have any claim to it??

I have to say it is no secret I have dug many caches on the property I have now.
And it is no secret that They are mine .
I haven't sold anything so they are still .... MINE. period.

LOL
Thom

They can try to find me in this state of confusion.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can bet every nephew, niece and step-grandchild of the previous owners will want a part of it, if it's big enough to squabble about.

A good fisherman won't tell his own wife where his secret fishing spot is located.

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Pulse Star 2, "Cachefinder" LRL, GPL
My understanding is that in the U.S., the finder of a treasure trove has a superior claim to it against all others except the original owner (of the treasure, not the land). If the treasure is legally willed to a party or if an insurance claim was paid for the loss of said treasure, others will have legal grounds to claim ownership.

If you contract with the land owner then he/she is due their contractual amount. Professional witnesses to the dig are required to ensure the treasure hunter's rights in case the owner stops the dig and throws you off the property, only to recover it later. I would guess high on the value and tie a potential lien to the property in the contract itself. A prelimany lien notice prior to the dig might be a good way to let an owner of questionable character know you are serious about your share since according to Mechanic Lien Law, you have labored 'toward' the improvement of the property and/or owner in some sense of the definition.

A preliminary lien notice got my neighbor to finally pay for her half of the fence I built after she erected a for sale sign on her property three days after I finished it. Initially, she balked about payment until her next paycheck... three weeks running. When I handed her the notice, she came back to the door a minute later with a check. Just like magic. LOL

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
if caches were as plentiful as people on here make them out to be, there would be all kinds of rich people on this forum LOL

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought -
The fact that the land under you home is taxed by your local government, do you actually own it?
Do you own whats under the soil, unconditionally?
What about when city or state can take property from folks based on eminent domain
For city improvements, highway construction and so on.
If you found oil under your property, is it 100% yours?
Just asking
Brady

SandFiddler

Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's BHID
bradyboy said:
Just a thought -
The fact that the land under you home is taxed by your local government, do you actually own it?
What about when city or state can take property from folks based on eminent domain
Just asking
Brady

Depends. You may own the land and someone else may own the mineral rights to what ever is in/under the land. Ditto water rights.

M

michigan michael

bradyboy said:
Just a thought -
Just asking
Brady
There is always a government loop hole, if they want their to be. I have seen a case where a family had to paint their home another color because the community did not approve on a light purple home they painted. If they can make you repaint your home at your own expense they can take whats underground of your property if they really want to.

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
I have that same question. Old Family members know that this old southern estate we now own has hidden "treasure" and come by occasionally to check on the cemetery but we have caught some checking on it with metal detectors! Even if we put a new iron gate up they can get on our land by other roads even after we have it posted. This old treasure is noted in the public records so they should have bought this land and house when it was for sale for 2 years before we bought it. They had their chance. We bought this without the knowledge of a any treasure and that is just an added bonus so I am sorry but I don't want to share my treasure except with God and family when found. A huge pot of confederate gold will not be read about in the news when I find it!

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
Since the cemetery is over 200 years old the entire land including cemetery is deeded to us as real property. No one has been buried here since 1863 so it is no longer deemed "public". Access is only by our written permission. We have not registered it as a historic site for that very reason.

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
SWR said:
dawgwood said:
Since the cemetery is over 200 years old the entire land including cemetery is deeded to us as real property. No one has been buried here since 1863 so it is no longer deemed "public". Access is only by our written permission. We have not registered it as a historic site for that very reason.

That could actually fall under the Abandoned Cemeteries law(s), and you could possibly file for a permit for relocation. Again, that law will vary in each state.

We made sure that was covered and is all listed as part of our "real" property. Some people have offered to buy "just the cemetery" which would be weird because it's right in the middle of our land and actually in our front yard. We have been caring for these "people" for years now and the cemetery has become a part of our life. We have landscaped and tried to restore it out of respect.

Before we moved here it was featured on "America's Most Haunted" cemeteries and was vandalized after that. We are still picking up pieces. I honestly do not believe the gold is buried in the cemetery. There are too many signs in other areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread