May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it needs service you can send it into Fisher and they will upgrade it to a CZ21 for around $300. I had mine done a year ago and love it. Warranty doesn't matter.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warranty would not cover up grade - cz20 was under different company owner
than cz21 - if it still works - i would not get the up grade
only got mine done when it crapped out and had to send it in

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it needs service you can send it into Fisher and they will upgrade it to a CZ21 for around $300. I had mine done a year ago and love it. Warranty doesn't matter.

$300 ? Whats there to upgrade? Isent the 20 and the 21 pretty much the same machine...so weres that $300 bucks going...sounds like a rip off to me.I was going to send mine in a couple years back after they had sold out and the guy I needed to talk to was allways"in a meeting" "out to lunch" or on vacation so I gave up...so much for that lifetime warrenty that I got when I bought it new.Even so I still love my 20 and its never given me a problem other than the pinpoint button not working properly.I never use the pinpoint anyhow so its no big deal.

gus

Oct 15, 2004
had my cz20 upgraded last year. since the unit was not working properly this worked out much better than buying a new machine. Cost was more than 300 though i don't remember the exact cost. The 300 is the minimum cost.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the lifetime warranty and my unit was upgraded to a CZ-21 for $25. The only thing on the new upgraded machine that looks used are the headphones and I think they are not my original phones. The new CZ-21, in my case at least, is a huge improvement. I could only turn up the sensitivity to 5 on the old CZ-20 in salt water. The new CZ-21 will go all the way to 10 and detects much deeper. My total experience with Fisher's service dept. was excellent.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
When Bounty Hunter first took over the original Fisher Company, I was quoted $540 to repair my CZ-20 which they would not do unless they upgraded it to a CZ-21. Back then that was not a good deal, so I fixed it myself and sold it. Today with the $300. price increase of water machines, it's an OK price.

One thing to remember a CZ 20 is approaching 10 years old if not older and electronics do weaken with age.

OP
OP
M

mikeothmer

May 3, 2009
Thanks for all the replys ! I just wasn't sure if they would even work on it because I didn't buy it new. Even at $500 it's still a lot better price than New.

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts on the CZ 20, as I explained to Mike, and I hope Felix, and all the others that said that Fisher has given them excellent service may now understand where I'm coming from. I didn't expose this information because, my problem was with what Fisher was charging for the up grade and the lack of information that was not be given to me when I asked exactly what the up grade entailed. I've had CZ 20's for the last 11 years. The first one's pin point button went on it, and was repaired for like 90.00 dollars or less, with good turn around time, fast replay on the phone and e-mail, and shipping. One of my buddies begged me to sell to him, and offered me a buy price I couldn't refused. I had already made some good finds and just about had paid for it self. This last one about two years ago, I bought on E-Bay, when an older senior needed to pay some bills and that was his excuse for selling it.

Problem was I purchased it, as is... Never, Ever, buy on E-Bay on a as is basis, because, the chances of getting burnt is very high. Anyway, bought it, and the 20 looked almost brand new cosmetic wise. Oh, another point and advise, never buy a CZ 20 if the summer season is about to end, like a week or two before labor day as I did. The first hunt went well, with the 20 working without any problems, but no gold to begin paying the 550.00 back then was a good price. The next week at low tide, a week before labor day, I was at the waters edge, ready to go in the water, and as I try to tune the 20, all I got was this long high pitch. I knew then that the pin pointer was gone, and mind you, I had clean the 20 after the last hunt with the fresh water. The CZ 20 must be cleaned after every hunt, and I might add the 21 as well. If not, the salt some way work around the pin pointer and that's where the problem starts, why? who knows, and make sure you have that baby sealed correctly. I make a check list when replacing batteries, and re-sealing the compartment.

So, I got one hunt out of the 20, couldn't send it back, and when I e-mailed the old man that sold it to me, had the nerve to tell me that he would buy the 20 back for 175.00. Now I know, that if I would have said yes, he would have up graded it to a 21, and resale it for another 600.00 or 700.00 or more, because the 21 are proving to have corrected the problem with the pin pointer. Now, almost two years ago, Fisher was charging 185.00 for the up grade, plus 550.00, and nothing to off set the price, as buying the 20 left me broke as an investment for looking to capitalize on it, turned out to be a very bad deal for me. So, I didn't up grade. This year I called Fisher, and waited two days to obtain a RA number. My thought is that, I should have been told off the bat, that the up grade had gone up to 300.00 plus tax before I was given a RA number. I would have never sent it in, because now, it's 550.00 plus 329.00, and it turns out I'd be better off buying another working CZ 20.

May I also suggest that, if your CZ 20 is or was well taken care of, they are the work horse of all water detectors. Since it's so early in the season up here in the north east, I would use it, but if that pin pointer goes out, the turn around time for repairs can run for as long as a month, because fisher may be very busy. If you have made most of your money back with a few good finds, I would not wait and send it in for the up grade, because, it's early in the season, even in the south. You'' be more confident that your 20, up graded will perform for the whole summer without any down time. Down Time, is our worst enemy, believe me, be it in the woods, parks, especially the water hunts. I hope this advise will help you make a decision to weigh the pros and the cons as the CZ 20 and its up grade. Oh, and do listen to a few of the seasoned hunters here at treasure net, they have a wealth of information and advise.. Good luck guys and dolls, may the winds be calm, your surfs tranquil, and your treasure bags full with goodies this year. Be safe out there, and only go into the water using the buddy system, or when lifeguards are present. Our live's are not worth any amount of gold that's in the water, common sense first, and then the right actions can keep you from harms way. HH...

Philo_NY :icon_thumleft:

PS I don't anything against any company as far as business, they are in business to make money, but at one point or another you need to take care of your loyal customers. It assures that they will be returning to give you more business. Don't treate them as though they do not know what they are asking or talking about, because as SXX's says, a well educated consumer, is your best customer... Now get out there and dig some treasure... ARR...

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
I know what you are saying Philo about down time being our worst enemy. I'm a firm advocate of having at least one backup machine if you are a water hunter. Waterproof detectors definitely end up in the repair shop more often than land machines and usually the repairs take longer. That one nice gold find that you don't find because your detector is in the shop could pay for a backup machine.

OP
OP
M

mikeothmer

May 3, 2009
I have 2 other machines for water a Excall II and a Tiger Shark. The CZ is my favorite because it has Disc. and it doesn't make terrible sounds every time I run the coil over Iron. The other 2 machines work great . I just don't like them as well . So I will keep the CZ going what ever the cost because it will pay it's way and make my hunting time as enjoyable as possible. I don't want to dig iron and I don't care to hear every piece !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread