Question about a new DFX

jblank37

May 13, 2006
Yesterday, I picked up a new DFX from my local dealer. The dealer ordered it from White's and received it yesterday also. This detector came with the latest 9.5 inch coil. It is not flat on top with the DFX decal. It has 4 raised up places, kind of pie shaped and a decal that reads "Eclispe 950". Now for the question. Has anyone else received one of these and tried putting a coil cover on it? White's sent me a coil cover and it fits perfectly around the outside of the coil but I have about a 1/4 inch gap between the lip of the cover and the coil at the middle of the coil. I was kind of wondering what anyone else might do here as for keeping trash out. I also need to say that I checked with White's and was told that this is the latest coil and the correct coil cover for it. Thanks in advance.

Friends, John

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem about the gap around the edges of the cover. Use a thin coating of bathtub silicone and smoth it with your finger or a rag. It keeps out sand and keeps the car clean.

OP
OP
J

jblank37

May 13, 2006
Thanks sandman256. That is what I was wanting to hear. I had thought about doing that. Just wanted to know what other people were doing. I did recheck with White's and they told me that they had a design problem with this coil cover. They are suppose to have the problem solved in the near future. Again, I thank you.

Friends, John

bc

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2006
Got a new MXT with the same coil. The earlier 9.5" cover wouldn't fit, almost but just not quite. Dealer called White's and sure enough there was a new one. There is a small gap, but not sure it's all of 1/4". Regardless, dealer said to put sealer around the big gap AND in the center joint as well.

Be careful of "silicone" sealers. Work fine on tile, but ultimately damage some plastics. I plan to use a (hopefully clear) caulk with no silicone. I expect to have to periodically take it off, inspect, and reseal it, "just in case".

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once bought a Whites Surfmaster Pro from a garage sale for small change. It worked great so I when to install a coil cover only to find it was to tight and wouldn't fit. After much burning the brain cells I try it again after heating the cover in hot water only to find it already had a coil cover attached. Why didn't I see that the first time?

allanw23

Dec 19, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro
The new coil uses a different coil cover thats why it doesnt fit right. call your local dealer and tell him you need the coil cover for the new m6 it is the proper one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread