Question about a rock!

mummytrol

Jun 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, dear friends! 6 months ago found a very heavy rock with a metal detector. It was 1 peace. Now it is cracked and falling apart. Maybe somebody has any idea what is that? The stone was stinking and had like silver metal surfaces. I cleaned one side of stone from inside for better view. The stone is very low magnetic, very strong magnet not sticking to it, just feeling a little puling!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 84
  • WP_000161.jpg
    WP_000161.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 82
  • WP_000159.jpg
    WP_000159.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 63

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like some kind of igneous rock, probably with some iron in it. The dark gray around the lighter center is probably where there was a crack that allowed water and oxygen into the stone and partially oxidized it. The lighter center is the natural color. Looks like some sort of basalt to me. Maybe an iron sulphide.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mummytrol

Jun 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard mummytrol! It might help if you provide the location, etc. of your find...

The stone is from Coney Island beach(Brooklyn). Center of the stone is a metal. I think it is iron( we tested it- Fe Iron 794.5k
Mn Manganese 190.6k
Cu Copper 5987
Co Cobalt 4733
Ti Titanium 1258
Ni Nickel 607
Zr Zirconium 302
Nb Niobium 323
Hg Mercury 163
Sb Antimony 79) it is 1/million parts. So about 80% is iron.
Thanks for your answers! Mummytrol!

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would think, with that iron percentage, it would be much more susceptible to the magnet. Sure has a lot of metal.
Jim

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rub it against a unglazed piece of porcelain. If you get a brownish streak - limonite.
If not: Pyrrhotite is also a possibility.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely a massive piece of Arsenopyrite. The red color is the iron oxide created as the material degrades. Pyrites cleave pretty easily and can fracture due to temperature fluctuations. That piece has been in the weather for a while so its probably developed a lot of fracturing~ so it'll kinda fall apart for a while. As to magnetics~ pyrites typically are not magnetic or are very weakly magnetic and can sound off on a metal detector.

silver pyrite.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mummytrol

Jun 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely a massive piece of Arsenopyrite. The red color is the iron oxide created as the material degrades. Pyrites cleave pretty easily and can fracture due to temperature fluctuations. That piece has been in the weather for a while so its probably developed a lot of fracturing~ so it'll kinda fall apart for a while. As to magnetics~ pyrites typically are not magnetic or are very weakly magnetic and can sound off on a metal detector.

View attachment 1010292

Thanks for you answers guys! Tried porcelain- does not work. What do you think about a smell of a stone, and its weight? its 4 pounds, I think more then the same piece of steel! Thank you for your answers again. Mummytrol!

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like decomposed slag to me. If it's a sulphury (rotten egg) tainted smell, likely sulphides gassing off a chunk of old lead smelting. Barges would sometimes use it for ballast in the early twentieth century.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arsenopyrite has a rotten egg smell when struck apparently.... check out Arsenopyrite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Checked it out when you said it smelled. I would expect it to smell as it degrades~ you say its falling apart~ if what Wiki says is true.
Sulfur is pretty strong stuff ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread