question about a survey map from 1903

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I am researching an area that seems to be a productive site and my library had on microfilm an atlas from 1903 that shows houses, land owners, schools, etc. on it and I came acroiss something weird. On the map it shows that 2 dwellings were owned by the same person but next to one of them it says "Ten Ho". Does anyone know what that means?? I see it at a few locations on the map.

Thanks,

Funkman

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
"I'll sing you ten-ho! Green grow the rushes-ho! What is your ten-ho? Ten for the ten commandments. ..."

;)

have a good un...........

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Ho stands for "house" not Hotel, I fell for that one myself. Take a closer look... is the "ten" really a "tem" by chance? May be temporary housing.

I'll pull up my OLDE INDEX and see what I can dredge up.

I see that "T" usually stands for "tile" , "TE" means Tile enclosed, like an elevator shaft in larger buildings. "TEC" is tile enclosed chimney. "TEN" ??? I dunno....

Hope some of this helps...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a tenement House ?

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I'm thinking tenament house also. Definately says "Ten Ho". I think maybe it was owned by the person that the line points to both houses. One house says "Mrs. Fred Booth 95 A" and it has a line pointing from the name to the house and also another line that points from her name to that Ten Ho house.

Also anyone know what the "95A" means? I thought maybe it was a house number but not sure on that. Possibly plot number? I'm thinking maybe acreage but wouldn't 95 acres be ALOT of land??

Thanks again.

Funkman

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
95 Acres would make a nice size Farm

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
as a side note, my daughter and I (good grammer or what) walked the dog up the trail last night because I wanted to take a few photos and maybe one of you more experienced people could help me decipher where this house used to sit. Well stupid me forgot the media card reader but while we were up there we took a different path that I had not been on yet. I saw a piece of glass laying on the ground and it had a light blue color to it. I picked it up and it had the word "HOOD'S" on it. I also found another piece close by that was partially buried. This second piece looks like a section of the top of the bottle. I googled "hood's bottle" and came up with a Hood's Sarsa Parilla bottle that is the exact color of mine. I thought the word Hood's was on the bottom of the bottle by the way the glas is formed around it but it seems it was on the front just indented into the face of the bottle.

Anyway this should probably be in the bottles section of the forum but figured I am talking about the same site and it makes me want to go looking through that whole area not just for coins but bottles also. Just trying to further date this area and get an idea on where this blinking house was.

Funkman

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
not sure if the 95A means acres or not cause I'm looking at the map some more and there seems to be more of these numbers with "A" next to them and they are sorta close together.... I will have to scan this and show you all what I mean. DOn't know how it will come out since it will be a scan of a copy.

Funkman

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
LOL! Talk about a stumper for me- we don't have tenements out here in the west, at least not like back east. Dekalb has posted before about translating my Oregonese, heheheh.

Tenement House sounds like its a keeper. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions