Question about an old Blue Book

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Late October last year I was clearing out some stuff in the donation trailer at my old job. I noticed a small box of stuff with some interesting stuff in it. Aside from the several zippo lighters that were issued to navy destroyer ships I found what must have been the previous owners obituary, who died in 2012. The older woman that dropped this stuff off not long ago mustve been his widow... Anyway there was also a "6th edition" whitman blue book from what appeared to be made in 1948. Its not too beat up and the pages inside are fully legible and in good shape. No coins newer than 48' are listed either. My question to you my good gentkeman, does this book hold value Itself being 68 years old? (On a side note this book has the 1916 D merc listed for a $1.50 in fine condition. LOL) Any insight is appreciated.

Upvote 0

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Late October last year I was clearing out some stuff in the donation trailer at my old job. I noticed a small box of stuff with some interesting stuff in it. Aside from the several zippo lighters that were issued to navy destroyer ships I found what must have been the previous owners obituary, who died in 2012. The older woman that dropped this stuff off not long ago mustve been his widow... Anyway there was also a "6th edition" whitman blue book from what appeared to be made in 1948. Its not too beat up and the pages inside are fully legible and in good shape. No coins newer than 48' are listed either. My question to you my good gentkeman, does this book hold value Itself being 68 years old? (On a side note this book has the 1916 D merc listed for a $1.50 in fine condition. LOL) Any insight is appreciated.

I doubt there is much value to an old blue book, the zippo's, however, are probably worth a MINT!

OP
OP
ThePt78Gamer

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Really? Several of them had the names of Navy Destroyers on them. One of them was still in Its Candy Cane striped box and was from the U.S.S brownson I believe, and appeared to never be used. I have a pic of the one in box. I sold them all to my grandpa for like $35. Six of them total.

OP
OP
ThePt78Gamer

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
alalal.jpg

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe $35.00 each for the lighters, I have sold some that brought over $500.00 :occasion14:

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to the 2016 Red Book, your 6th edition Blue Book is worth $15 bucks...

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Really? Several of them had the names of Navy Destroyers on them. One of them was still in Its Candy Cane striped box and was from the U.S.S brownson I believe, and appeared to never be used. I have a pic of the one in box. I sold them all to my grandpa for like $35. Six of them total.

I'm glad you sold them to your grandfather and not a stranger, your grandfather got an awesome deal! HH, Maverick

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The Zippo's are probably PRICELESS in the eyes of your grandfather, to the point of past memories. Thank you for doing that for him. I too am a grandfather, and would feel the same from any of my own grandchildren.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread