Question About Ant Holes

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ricardo_NY1 said:
I've had this question in my mind for a while, but never got to posting it.......

Can anyone here please explain to me why it is that when you turn over a plug that has ants in it, it smells like that saddle soap that is used to clean floors?
Ricardo: You sure have a sensitive nose! :D I've disturbed many ants and have never smelled anything. :( However, I may have found the answer to your question. :icon_study: Seeing a lot of documentaries about ants got me to go to google and ask. :icon_scratch: Here is the "solution"! ;D

http://www.electronicsinfoline.com/...y/do_ants_produce_acid_when_antagonised.shtml
Do ants produce acid when antagonised?
Some stinging insects spray formic acid into the air when threatened. Find an anthill, step on it lightly to disturb the ants, without getting stung place a piece of indicator paper over the ants.

Edward

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Thanks Ed........your research motivated me to do the same and I found this......

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mantsmell.html

Anyhow, it annoys the crap out of me whenever I smell that soapy smell.........but it doesn't stop me. I'd figured others were also experiencing the same.
Ah, good ol' Straight Dope. Used to be my reference for many years back when. Cecil certainly got one thinking but I learned that he CAN make mistakes, rare but still make you think of alternatives. I put him on my FAVORITES to start checking again.

Ed

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
I'm not sure what ants smell like, but I know they taste like cinnamon.. When I was a kid my mother left the jelly out one night with the lid off.. Well we had ants!!! They crawled into the jar.... Someone had put the jelly back in the fridge! The next day my mother served me English muffins with jelly and ants...... Somehow she didn't notice ants were in the jelly, and I didn't notice they were on my English muffin either....

I took a few bites and was wondering why it tasted like cinnamon.... I looked at the muffin and it was covered with dead ants................. NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I screamed... I ran to the kitchen sink and tried to puke..... I still don't know how my mother did that.... I'll never forget that............ Sorry to gross you out!!!!

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
jraven said:
I'm not sure what ants smell like, but I know they taste like cinnamon.. When I was a kid my mother left the jelly out one night with the lid off.. Well we had ants!!! They crawled into the jar.... Someone had put the jelly back in the fridge! The next day my mother served me English muffins with jelly and ants...... Somehow she didn't notice ants were in the jelly, and I didn't notice they were on my English muffin either....

I took a few bites and was wondering why it tasted like cinnamon.... I looked at the muffin and it was covered with dead ants................. NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I screamed... I ran to the kitchen sink and tried to puke..... I still don't know how my mother did that.... I'll never forget that............ Sorry to gross you out!!!!
I wasn't grossed out. I'm aware that in some societies, civilized and uncivilized, ants are a delicacy. Here in New York City you can buy chocolate-covered ants. I like your idea, though, cinnamon on strawberry jam on a nicely-toasted English muffin; hmmm!

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
None of you ever watched that old B&W movie "THEM"?
Big ants, formic acid etc.

Some birds will purposely disturb ant hills and bathe in the formic acid being sprayed because it will act as an insecticide to the lice and ticks on the bird. Some even learned to pick up the ants and place them in their feathers under a wing or something, it just drives the lice out.

So yea, next time you feel so inclined, roll on a large ant hill and you will be free of PB tics for the rest of the season.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I've also noticed that if you sweep your coil over a fire ant mound it will ring up as metal

Sniffer

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
Sniffer said:
I've also noticed that if you sweep your coil over a fire ant mound it will ring up as metal

Sniffer
You keep those fire ants down there -K!. thanks

that is interesting though, i wonder why?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All us naughty boys in elementry school used to get a bunch of black ants on our hands and eat em in front of the girls to freak em out! :o Sent many a little girl screaming down the hall. Awwwww.... the good ole days :tongue3:

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Evolx10 said:
Sniffer said:

Sniffer
You keep those fire ants down there -K!. thanks

that is interesting though, i wonder why?
Ain't you never heard of pack-(rat)ants? There's coins in them there ant holes! ;D

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what your asking about is called very clean soap ants - LOL
as for fire ants, here in FL, if you even think about disturbing them your in trouble.
you can step in a mound not realize it until its to late
I have to keep several creams to help dull the pain and also keep benadrill (sp?) on hand
you can go into anaphlatic shock if you get bit by to many, like bees
not to mention the pain that last for a few hours,
bites can lasts for days and become infected easy
I have a dog that I need to bring to the vet a couple times a year because he sat on a nest.
Very nasty problem here in the south
the big problem is, they are very very small
very resi;ant to almost all pesticides, nests constantly move, over night, especially when their nest gets rained out

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I thought I smelled something a little faint. But ignored it, there was iron underneath these little guys.

LSTgoldseeker

Greenie
Dec 22, 2007
california city,ca
Detector(s) used
tesoro lobo super traq,BH QD2,whites coinmaster,whites goldmaster 3, garrett pro pointer pinpointer(love it)
thats funny ,because when i was about five i used to eat ants off the sidewalk.. i dont know why i did it. just bored i guess..lol i remember they were ''hot '' though.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Those red ones are Citranella ants and they smell like the Citranella candles used to keep mosquitos away. They don't work by the way. But it is where they get the smell from for the candle. Take one and pinch it between your fingers and the smell is quite potent. As far as all the others go...who knows..a protection/defensive smell to ward off predators like humans digging for silver and gold!!!!! HH ;D jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread