Question about Blue Bowl and sluices

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I ask the 2 questions I have I just want to say I do not want people getting into arguments and such as I just read on another post over this. I am just curious if I should expand on my inventory. Thank you.

I am in Central Indiana. As most know we have glacier gold, thus being minute, small, flour gold and the occasional flake. I usually pan everything. What I am wanting to know is this.

Will a sluice effectively trap the flour gold we have here?

Will a Blue Bowl seperate down to flour gold if I am using a low water flow?

Thank you for your time and responses.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are four (4) sluices I know of that that are supposed to be good for flour gold.

1. DFS (Damn fine sluice)
2. Le Trap
3. popandson sluice
4. Clean gold sluice

As for the blue bowl, I have successfully recovered -100 mesh gold, they use it in Nome Alaska with success also.

EggyOG could help you more, you may find posts of his here in the panning forum, ask him as he has worked in the area more then me. :wink:

I can only say what I've heard from trust able sources and my own experience. :thumbsup:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feeding preclassified materials to your sluice is the secret to micro gold recovery. You can't run 2" rocks with micro gold-you lose your specific gravity edge completely and your recovery suffers. 1/4" feed is good for micro-1/2" normal gravels. Le Trap is the only sluice I'd recommend--longer keene/proline too-but classification is king !!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i agree with the two replys here. i have both of the(1 &2 sluices) listed and i really like them both! like was stated. screen everything down and run the screenings seperatly when trying to capture fine gold. the bigger gold isnt a problem.using the specific gravety of the material and same size will help you save that fine gold. if John hasnt dont it, it hasnt been done before. i wish he would write a book on his experiences!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep thats the green plastic one. i saw that Angus McQuirk has a sorta copy of the LeTrap sluice thats made of a heavier makeup. it is also being sold at Caballos sporting goods store. for around the same price... from what ive heard it has the same recovery as the LeTrap ...i havent tried it so this is just what ive heard.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried/or even seen that one in use either russau--anyone have pics of it in action?? Thanx-tons a au 2u 2-John

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
I would also look at the Buckabilly sluice. They are made for the conditions you encounter in your part of Indiana (too much water, not enough water, small gold). If you need more info on them, pm me. I've tested them this year and really liked how they work. In fact, I was using one about 20 miles south of you.

OP
OP
junior967

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks EggyOG. I came across their web page last night and was reading up on it. I was thinking that it would be made for this areas conditions with them being from Ohio which is about the same finds. I e-mailed the owners for more info, but they are out for the gold shows in Ohio last weekend and Georgia this weekend coming up. With winter coming I am about done for the year it looks like. No garage at my house to pan in. May have to put a heater in the mini barn.... LOL

Any extra info you have about the Buckabilly I would appreciate. Thanks

[email protected]

Curt

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
when your trying to capture fine gold(really fine gold) it all depends on your setup and how you use it. really fine gold is all we have around the midwest so it MUST be screened and your feeding of material and water flow MUST be slowed down and spread out. you cant have any bubbels or riffels or anything thatll cause trubidity. recycleing your water with a sufactant is a must. and it keeps going.

OP
OP
junior967

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Blue Bowl kit from Dallas. GREAT SERVICE, EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION, and he had it drop shipped from his supplier. I am telling you guys what, if you need anything talk to Dallas. If he has it or can get it he will make the transaction as pain free and easy as possible. I will do future business with him that is for sure.

flyspekau

Apr 2, 2008
Fresno Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
I run all my material first through a 6"x 18" power sluice, 750gpm pump carpet and raised metal only no riffles at 20 mesh that gets the bigger stuff, then run all of that thru 50 mesh and into the blue bowel it goes I don't lose anything, time consuming yes...

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Yep Blue Bowls are tops :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Fine gold recovery outside of chemicals or mercury is time consuming. No doubt about it. Pre classification & slow water flow, just enough to wash on the preclassified material & no riffles as they arent needed with your preclassified material, is the secret to fine gold recovery. As already mentiond. Expanded mesh over ribbed rubber matting, or over miners moss. Only with miners moss you are still going to have a bunch of black sands but then you put that through the blue bowl. Time consuming.... yes yes yes but works. What better to do on a cold winters night in front of the fire with a beer or two.....

Happy golding

JW

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the Blue Bowl , its the tits....works great here... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my set up.... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Attachments

• SUNP0004.jpg
    SUNP0004.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 950

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hooked mine up to the kitchen sink; I can tune the flow. The wife isn't happy with me but o well. Classify the material and run it separately.
I was looking at the 100 mesh screen and passed. Maybe I should have bought it.
30 mesh seams to work for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread