Question about cleaning some V nickels I found

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Now, I know I shouldnt clean old coins, but I can see the date on 2 of them (1911 & 1906) the third is completly covered where the date is. These as some of you guys know are common dates for V nickels. With that said, I want to clean them up a bit. I'll post a picture of what they look like. I've tried a few things myself already. Originally I had 4 that were super dirty but I was able to clean one up pretty easily but these ones are really hard to clean. I dont have a tumbler/polisher machine or anything like that but if you guys know another way please help me out.

Attachments

• 3dirty.jpg
    3dirty.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I used to clean my coins, I used this method. I feel like a lot of people don't know about the other part to it, but while your coins are in a vinegar and salt solution, rub the edges of your coins back and forth on one of these guys to clean inbetween the reeded edges on reeded coins, and the rims on nickels and pennies:
21518-OB-3ww-l[1].jpg

Then, use these guys to clean the obverse and reverse of your coins. If you're OCD about clean coins like I used to be, it will literally get every last spec of ground in dirt off of your coins:
jana-ezernacks-photostream-ticonderoga-pencils[1].jpg

Last edited:

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, I won't clean my newly found 1926S penny 8-)

Even though it is not needed... a semi key date

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
These common date v nicks are only worth about a buck or two anyway, I don't mind taking that kind of loss to see if I can clean them up.

JasonFleck

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The eraser trick on coins is a secret everyone in the hobby should know but as with anything do not over do it on your silver

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing worked.....I tried vinegar and salt, pure acetone, hot water and soap, and the eraser trick....looks like the nickels are too far gone to be saved

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steel wool SoS pads. They work super well on my dug nickels. They have no value as is and I keep all my finds and man the difference is night and DAY!!!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Steel wool SoS pads. They work super well on my dug nickels. They have no value as is and I keep all my finds and man the difference is night and DAY!!!

I use them a lot for dug zincolns. I occasionally use them for some coins that are worth less than $1.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions