Question about dump diggin..

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the opportunity to scavenge an old family dump .. probably dates to the late teens -1920's on through the 1960's. Preliminary walk through shows lots of lawnmower parts, early appliances, tin cans, broken glass etc. My question is, do you think it is worth the time to pick through this junk? Part of me says go for it, but the majority of me says forget it! What's your thoughts?

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll never know if you don't try. The 19 teens - twenties is getting to the latter period of collecting glass because is was mainly machine made by then. But you can still find early examples, or local bottling works that can still be worth $$$.

I say go dig that thing!

Here is my recommendation (and personal practice) for digging dumps. Find the the outer edge and dig down there in clean soil. then work your way sideways into the dump. Don't get going too fast because everything is connected like a puzzle, and it's easy to break things you don't want broken.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the tips and the thoughts, Jason! I appreciate your reply.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my recommendation (and personal practice) for digging dumps. Find the the outer edge and dig down there in clean soil. then work your way sideways into the dump. Don't get going too fast because everything is connected like a puzzle, and it's easy to break things you don't want broken.

I must respectfully disagree with the above method after reading your original thought, as you seem a bit hesitant for this project.

I don't know how high things are piled, nor the area it covers, but that doesn't matter in my method. :tongue3: You really need to jump into the thick of things and I mean that literally. Dive into the center, work your way down to the soil, then try and build a path out. Good thing is you may have little choice to do some work before you can get out :laughing7:

My way makes you make a commitment, unlike Jason's that you can walk away from :laughing7:

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I must respectfully disagree with the above method after reading your original thought, as you seem a bit hesitant for this project.

I don't know how high things are piled, nor the area it covers, but that doesn't matter in my method. :tongue3: You really need to jump into the thick of things and I mean that literally. Dive into the center, work your way down to the soil, then try and build a path out. Good thing is you may have little choice to do some work before you can get out :laughing7:

My way makes you make a commitment, unlike Jason's that you can walk away from :laughing7:

I was actually thing of tunneling in from underneath under the assumption that all the oldest stuff would be on the bottom. :laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the opportunity to scavenge an old family dump .. probably dates to the late teens -1920's on through the 1960's. Preliminary walk through shows lots of lawnmower parts, early appliances, tin cans, broken glass etc. My question is, do you think it is worth the time to pick through this junk? Part of me says go for it, but the majority of me says forget it! What's your thoughts?

I get the impression that you don't know if it would be worth it for any profit instead of just doing it for the fun and being rewarded with something that is collectable and maybe worth some $$$ to someone that collects. I'd start on the edge and work your way to the center and down to bare dirt. Have collection piles on the rim for what you think is interesting. Take pictures.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creskol. whichever way you decide to go, just have a blast with it. It sounds like it may be a goldmine in the process:tongue3:

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great time to me go for it! Even if you don't find stuff worth thousands its fun to dig bromo selzers and old Pepsi bottles.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get a truck close to it, haul all that iron to the scrapyard while you're digging. That way even if there's nothing good under it, you'll have a few bucks for a beer when it's all over.

Last edited:

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can get a truck close to it, haul all that iron to the scrapyard while you're digging. That way even if there's nothing good under it, you'll have a few bucks for a beer when it's all over.

about a year ago i cleaned up a old dump in the back yard at my dads place, took 3 truck loads of metal (in a small dodge dakota) to the salvage yard and got $360 for rusty iron.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who cares if you dont find anything valuable! It would be fun as heck to go through, and you might find something not worth any money, but that you like!

Ibmike1655

Sep 11, 2012
Woodstock, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X, Garrett ATPro International
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From past experience, I would say to start from the edge working in. Just because it is from the 20 - 30's, does not mean that they did not throw something out that had been sitting around for the last 50 or so years and just got tired of it, so out it went. I have found items that were over 100 years older than the dump I was digging in. Also a good idea to sift the bottom for coins and jewelry because they do turn up from time to time. Wear good gloves and enjoy.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of the newer surface dumps, say twenties thru sixties have good chance of treasure other than strictly bottles. Many have old shingles from long ago roofing jobs that preserve beer cans and acl sodas nicely. Plus, if you are lucky, you will find clean-out goods like metal toys and crocks and cast iron bathroom scales, car parts, spittoons, chamber pots, all kinds of treasures. As far as actually digging the dump, just start poking around, try to find the deepest part. If you dig out big paint cans with lids on, open them up and check for beer cans. Sounds crazy but we have found plenty of very well preserved beer cans inside bigger cans. Pruning shears, shovels, hoes and potato rakes. Gloves are good to have. Beware of nails and sharp steel junk, not to mention broken glass. Wear heavy sole boots. I have to go with Spartacus on this one, I say jump right into the middle of it and see how good it is. If it is producing, then take some caution and dig with strategy, and throw all the tailings into a clean area adjacent to the dump so you can dig the whole dump if it's a good one. Keep digging until you hit bottom, sometimes the twenties dump is on top of a fifties dump. 1850's that is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions