Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, while Doubled Die coins produced from Dies with Doubling on them is technically an Error, they are considered as Varieties because they Error occurred in the production of the Dies. There are quite a few Error coins that can be and are considered to be one of a kind because of the Date, Mint, Denomination and Series and no others show for the same but somewhat similar Error coins of different Date, Mint, Denomination and Series may show up. One of a kinds are generally unique as they are rare errors. The ones that come to mind are struck Split Planchet coins, coins with multiple Strikes, flip over Double Struck coins, wrong Planchet strikes but there are others.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
add clips, greasers, struck through foreign material & capped die:happysmiley:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
add clips, greasers, struck through foreign material & capped die:happysmiley:

Yes, these also fall into the category of one of a kinds because no two are alike or have the same Date and Mint Mark or they were/are a different denomination or Series but they are somewhat more common type errors. I found and sold to or traded Mike Diamond an Error Cent many years ago that was/is a true one of a kind. If memory serves me correctly, it was Split Planchet, Split before the Strike which suffered a Full Brockage before a Partial Brockage and there seemed that there was evidence of previous strikes before the Brockages. It suffices to say that the coin was all messed up and Mike wrote about it in Coneca's (I believe the former) Variety Vista Monthly Newsletter. I even found a 1944-P "Pierfort (or Piedfort) Thick Planchet" Lincoln Cent (Pollock 2078 Variety) (see link below) near the same time that was struck on an Experimental or Foreign Coin Planchet (there is still debate on which these were struck) that weighed around 4.1 grams and was nearly twice the thickness of a normal Lincoln Wheat Cent. I had lots of folks telling me different things about the coin and some in PM's stated that it was tampered with and had no premium. Well, I sold it on eBay for around $135 but I might have gotten more. However, it has been a long time ago and my' records on it have long been misplaced. While the coin was rare, it was/is not one of a kind because more examples have been found and some sold. While a Collector/Seller of Error and Variety coins can make quite a bit of money on most Error coins, the true one of a kind Error coins when certified, graded and attributed, are the ones that really bring the big money.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1944-p-pierfort-cent-lincoln-cent-pollock-2078-variety.8058/

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver Down is correct, there are some out there. The die error must have been caught early at the mint and it taken out of use after some coins escaped to the public.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread