Roosevelt dime that sticks to a magnet?

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through some more of the coins that inquired here recently and I came across this Roosevelt dime 1986D it looked kind of strange it’s real shiny and it sticks to a magnet it weighs 2.4 g has anyone seen one of these before
IMG_9415.jpg IMG_9416.jpg IMG_9418.jpg IMG_9419.jpg IMG_9420.jpg

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not too sure from the pics but it could possibly be heavily plated in something magnetic giving it a slight magnetic attraction? Just a thought...

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, plated. Most likely nickel.

Rum Tide

Apr 28, 2019
The Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Yukon Coin Hustler II, Vibra-Tector 740, Pulse Dive (2), Equinox 600, Equinox 800 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup ...now it's only worth a nickle

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even coin machines would not want it. what's the crud on reverse:BangHead::dontknow:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that it was quite possibly plated with Nickel. However, because of the possible plating and the blob of metal on the Reverse, the coin was likely soldered onto something to use as jewelry and the blob is likely magnetic.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, plated. Most likely nickel.

With it being plated with nickel would it stick to the whole coin when you put a magnet in the center of the coin it moves to the edge and then sticks

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that it was quite possibly plated with Nickel. However, because of the possible plating and the blob of metal on the Reverse, the coin was likely soldered onto something to use as jewelry and the blob is likely magnetic.

It looks more like the coin was dragged across something here some closer pictures thanks everyone
IMG_9421.jpg IMG_9422.jpg

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very strange, how strongly does it stick to your magnet? I know that the Chinese sometimes counterfeit modern US coins, like the Sacagawea dollars for example which are widely circulated in South America. As I recall, something like 60% of the US dollar coins circulating in Colombia are fakes, and I wonder if smaller denominations are faked as well.

Since the coins is of no real value would you be willing to file away at the edge to see if it is clad with a proper copper core? If it's solid ferrous metal it should be pretty obvious and very interesting.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very strange, how strongly does it stick to your magnet? I know that the Chinese sometimes counterfeit modern US coins, like the Sacagawea dollars for example which are widely circulated in South America. As I recall, something like 60% of the US dollar coins circulating in Colombia are fakes, and I wonder if smaller denominations are faked as well.

Since the coins is of no real value would you be willing to file away at the edge to see if it is clad with a proper copper core? If it's solid ferrous metal it should be pretty obvious and very interesting.

Not very strong I’m gonna try to take it to a local coin shop to see what they think I don’t think it’s anything special but who knows like others have said on here just plated it with nickel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread