Question about freezing cold sluicing

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of a stupid yankee/greenhorn question here.

I've been reading through the forum and see some complaints about the winter. My question is how many brave it out with waders or maybe a drysuit? I mean, so long as the creek ain't frozen over, the creek bed is still diggable. I suppose high water is a problem, but there has got to still be some place to go, maybe even creeks that are usually too slow to sluice will have enough water. Or is there something else I am missing other than my marbles?

I want to try panning near Marion NC at a pay to pan site in two weeks or so. Is that plausible? They claim to be open year round.

Upvote 0

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say you maybe in a good climate for a drysuit or waders , etc . The bigger problem in the north country , be it from east coast to west coast you have to deal with alot of ice , even still in moving water , it can be dangerous . If a big piece breaks lose it can take you out , the older we are the easyer it is to get hurt . I suppose even there are those of us , that want too but , just know better .

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been putting my efforts the last two times out into a small creek high above the main river since later in the year it will be dry. I'm not on my preferred creek as loggers have the road closed off where I want to go. It's not freezing cold, but I wear chest waders with waterproof boots. Not much color yet, but some. I've got a good 4 wheel drive (knocking on wood) that is loaded with survival gear including dry firewood in case of disaster. Haven't seen anyone up there. but the beer drinkers have left their mark. My wife and I have picked up four buckets of cans in a three mile stretch! Sorry for the ramble so anyway get out there, I think I need to also!

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been putting my efforts the last two times out into a small creek high above the main river since later in the year it will be dry. I'm not on my preferred creek as loggers have the road closed off where I want to go. It's not freezing cold, but I wear chest waders with waterproof boots. Not much color yet, but some. I've got a good 4 wheel drive (knocking on wood) that is loaded with survival gear including dry firewood in case of disaster. Haven't seen anyone up there. but the beer drinkers have left their mark. My wife and I have picked up four gallons of cans in a three mile stretch! Sorry for the ramble so anyway get out there, I think I need to also!

I get where your coming from wildminer , but the F.O.G needs to lick there wounds this time of year . LOL I thought being a Gold miner without four wheel drive was'nt even an option . LOL

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a fog so make this run once a week, but bring some classified material home to screen on down and compare with my bgt cons. ( by the fire! ) 8-)

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a fog so make this run once a week, but bring some classified material home to screen on down and compare with my bgt cons. ( by the fire! ) 8-)

More power to you Bro , I just have'nt made it back from my injuries yet . My mind says go the the body says no . If your an FOG , you know what I mean .

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I go late in the season I have a few layers on, thick rubber gloves elbow lenth with a pair of thinner knit gloves or my diving gloves inside for more warmth. And rubber boots knee high couple pair of socks. Sometimes when it's real cold water I put some of those cheap hand warmer packets in my boots and gloves. Toasty is GOOD!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya Nugget , I use them when I'm hunting . I guess , I'll have to think about the noob process of gold mining , I'm no where as good on my feet as I use to be . LOL I guess I'm considered an old falling guy . LOL

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here, we have so many creeks that are to slow too sluice in the summer, you have to hit them in the winter. There are 4 rivers within 30 miles of my house. Hip waders are a must. It only freezes a few times a year...Big plus !!
Culvert Crevicing is routine 'round here.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As you can see from my journal, I dig year round. Break the ice, wear chest Waders and fleece and waterproof gloves...life is good!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can see from my journal, I dig year round. Break the ice, wear chest Waders and fleece and waterproof gloves...life is good!

We're frozen out!!! Even though it's been mild in the southern part of the state, northern half different story.

emptyhole

Feb 28, 2014
n. calif.
Detector(s) used
all the prospecting toys
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't access my claims because the mountain passes are all snowed in until spring.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was up in Massachusetts last week with E.MassAuMan and while it was 40 degrees and no snow near Springfield, where we prospected it was still snowy and icy (see the thread MA/VT/NH Panning). Now he tells me there's 10" of snow - we just squeezed in our trip!

For that trip my gear was similar to NhNugget: hip waders with thermal underwear and wool socks underneath, thick rubber gloves with thin cotton gloves underneath. Despite my heavy tread boots I fell on my butt twice, slipping on the banks of the stream. That's dangerous stuff - doesn't take much to break or strain something. And in a larger stream toward the end of the day I broke some ice loose and even a small piece about the size of a pizza felt hard when it flowed with the current and hit my leg.
I'm hard core, but not as hard core as Kevin. :)

- Brian

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up in Massachusetts last week with E.MassAuMan and while it was 40 degrees and no snow near Springfield, where we prospected it was still snowy and icy (see the thread MA/VT/NH Panning). Now he tells me there's 10" of snow - we just squeezed in our trip!

For that trip my gear was similar to NhNugget: hip waders with thermal underwear and wool socks underneath, thick rubber gloves with thin cotton gloves underneath. Despite my heavy tread boots I fell on my butt twice, slipping on the banks of the stream. That's dangerous stuff - doesn't take much to break or strain something. And in a larger stream toward the end of the day I broke some ice loose and even a small piece about the size of a pizza felt hard when it flowed with the current and hit my leg.
I'm hard core, but not as hard core as Kevin. :)

- Brian

Amen , Brother , I was run over by a truck in 2003 , I ended up with a new hip etc and have had several surguries since . I ended up have a savier head injury and a degenerating spine that has since been fused . That being said my balance is'nt what it use to be . I have'nt given up , but have definately slowed done .

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of a stupid yankee/greenhorn question here.

I've been reading through the forum and see some complaints about the winter. My question is how many brave it out with waders or maybe a drysuit? I mean, so long as the creek ain't frozen over, the creek bed is still diggable. I suppose high water is a problem, but there has got to still be some place to go, maybe even creeks that are usually too slow to sluice will have enough water. Or is there something else I am missing other than my marbles?

I want to try panning near Marion NC at a pay to pan site in two weeks or so. Is that plausible? They claim to be open year round.

Yes lucky strike is open year round. I'm not sure how high the river is running.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I'm glad Kevin mentioned Fleece. I always assume that people know about wearing the correct fabric for the weather your I'm. But then again I see people out in winter wearing cotton. I always hope they can manage not to get wet. Definitely wear something that's going to have about the same insulation factor regardless if its dry of wet. Just in case you have a little slip. I've strapped a dry sack with a extra change of Fleece pants and jacket to my pack The few times I've gone out this winter just in case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread