Linsey

Greenie
May 13, 2014
NORTHEAST PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out yesterday and found some 1800's coins. The first two were only 4" down so it gave me a tone and pinpointed easily. As I was really searching hard the same area I found that I wasn't getting a regular tone at all but the pinpoint feature would give me a tone. I dug again and found two more coins, a foot or more deep. After I dug some of the soil on top away, I would get a tone not using the pinpointer. Is this because the coin was so deep? Is the pinpointer trustworthy for this kind of a deep find, or was this a fluke. I thought there were probably more coins around from a likely spill, so I figured it was worth it to dig. I should say, also, that this was my first time out and first metal detector ever. Thanks for your help!!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you didn't get a tone cause the coins were deep and when you used pinpoint mode that is All Metal which is deeper than disc. Good Work.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Linsey

Linsey

Greenie
May 13, 2014
NORTHEAST PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my sensitivity all the way up. These coins were really deep. A foot or more. It was a field 100 years ago, so they could have been tilled under a time or two, but they were all in a straight line, like in a furrow from plowing. I'm thinking the farmer must have tore a hole in his pocket or fell off his horse plowing or something (: Its on my property, so I think I'll just dig the whole area, anywhere my pinpointer gives me a signal. 4 coins all together like that, I'm thinking there could be more.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Practice practice practice then when thats done practice some more.
Take time to learn the machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread