Question About Headphones

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
heres where the snake oil comes in...

"metal detector" headphones are sometimes just cheap ole stereo headphones with a metal detector company's logo on it that adds to the price.

headphones should be rugged, comfy, and matched to your machine. where matching can be an issue is with machines that use piezo type phones versus the much more common dynamic type phones.

piezo phones use a chunk of quartz crystal that reacts to electrical current to make a sound on a hard plate of metal, ceramic, or plastic. dynamic phones use what is basically a miniature speaker.

if your detector is a land unit and uses a 1/4" jack, chances are its a regular dynamic style headphone it wants to see. the jack on the detector may be wired to work with stereo headphones or may be wired to work only with mono headphones. experimentation will tell you what you got. plug a stereo headset on it and if you hear sound on both sides then it makes matters easy for you and you can use either stereo or mono headphones.

if you get sound in only one ear with a stereo headset then you need to use a mono headphone or just deal with sound in only one ear.

if your machine works fine with regular dynamic stereo headphones i'd check out some of the koss brand stuff they sell at most major department stores and places like best buy or circuit city. many models of koss phones have a lifetime warranty, just read the box.

in my opinion, "metal detector" headphones are just a ploy unless your machine requires piezo's or has some special connector. find something thats comfy and sounds good to you.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
I agree to a point on the headphones that some manufactureres just put a name on them. This is why I recomended Killer B's or Grey Ghost. They are rugged and backed up with warranties that are lifetime. When it comes to mono or stereo, Whites detectors generally need to have the headphones in mono not stereo. All others I know of take stereo. This is why there are stereo / mono switches on many of the better headphones. You can use the same set of phones for many different detectors and not lose any performance.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANY good headphones will work fine, I have had both detector types, and regular with no difference...If you need to, you can use a mono to stereo adapter, but on most newer units you wont have do do anything...

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
ANY good headphones WILL work fine, however, The DetectorPro and Killer B's have a better sound to them and can actually pick out fainter signals. The more ohms the headphones are rated for the better they are. As I stated, If you have or buy a whites unit you will need mono headphones or stereo with a mono/stereo switch. I'll add that a mono/stereo adapter can also be used. The other brands can use anything.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TonyinCT said:
ANY good headphones WILL work fine, however, The DetectorPro and Killer B's have a better sound to them and can actually pick out fainter signals. The more ohms the headphones are rated for the better they are. As I stated, If you have or buy a whites unit you will need mono headphones or stereo with a mono/stereo switch. I'll add that a mono/stereo adapter can also be used. The other brands can use anything.

That is not true about the more ohms the better...The amount of ohms that your detector wants to see is what matters...Frequency response will allow you to hear more sounds, details if you will...Ohms are the amount of resistance the headphone presents to the audio output section of your detector...Hi fidelity units are preferable, but not a must as the frequency response on a detector is not very wide to begin with...(the audio section that is) I'm sure there are some advantages to using a Metal detector store bought brand over Koss, or other major Audiophile units, but for the life of me, I cant figure out what it is...Tom

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Well I guess we will have to just disagree then. All I know is that the headphones I use that are 150 ohms are a lot better sounding than the ones that are 32 ohms . Thats a fact. I can pick out deep soft signals with my killer B Wasps that many brands won't . I've tested them. Koss are good phones but I feel you pay more for not more in the way of versatility. Maybe its the detectors you're using I don't know.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TonyinCT said:
Well I guess we will have to just disagree then. All I know is that the headphones I use that are 150 ohms are a lot better sounding than the ones that are 32 ohms . That's a fact. I can pick out deep soft signals with my killer B Wasps that many brands won't . I've tested them. Koss are good phones but I feel you pay more for not more in the way of versatility. Maybe its the detectors you're using I don't know.

More than likely your machine need that impedance headphone then....its like speakers can be 8 ohms, or 4 ohms, they both sound the same if the amp wants to see 4, or 8 ohms...It depends on what the amp wants...Frequency response is what determines (among other things) the sound quality...BUT if you have better luck with a particular brand that is a good thing then...Take care, Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread