Question about headphones

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got what for most people would be a no brainer question about headphones. I've had my Titan 2000xd for a few years now and it's the only detector I've ever had and I think it's an ok machine for me. I bought it from Kellyco a few years back and it never came with any headphones but does have a jack for them. I know nothing about them and tried to save some money and bought a mono adapter at radio shack and and tried to use regular headphones from a walkman and the external speaker went quiet but I got no sound in the headphones. Do I have to buy the expensive "md headphones" or is there some way to just use the cheap walkman type headphones? Thanks in advance for any help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did try that but it seems like the signal isn't making it from the jack to the headphones. I'm wondering if it's because the adapter is mono and the headphones are stereo? Maybe some compatibility issues?

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that, my machine doesn't have a volume control. I was thinking the sensetivity adjustment, took my pain meds already(makes me loopier then usual)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is both the adapter and the Walkman phones. You should have a regular stereo headphones. You don't have to spring for the expensive ones, but they are lots better tone quality than the Wal-Mart junk. I suggest you spring for the Black Widows, Grey Ghosts, Killer Bees type that fit around the whole ear. They will have volume controls on both ear pieces an let you hear the faintest sounds.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i use a cheap set of Sony's for walmart or kmart that are a medium size, $15, keeps the noise out and lets my ears breath, just get a stereo adapter and try that with your phones

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the mono adapter is the issue. My machine only produces three tones. Thank you all for the help, I'll post again when I get the right parts and hopefully it works

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went over to Best Buy today and got a stereo adapter, plugged it in to the sony walkman headphones and it worked!

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have thought, mono=single tone, my machine produces 3 tones making a stereo adapter the right one. If only I had a brain.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread