Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know many class rings have the name of the student engraved inside the ring. But you rarely hear about expensive rings being engraved with the purchaser's name? I've only heard of two wedding bands engraved with the owners name. Any ideas on why this is?

Second part of the question...I know that many diamonds are engraved with a serial number. I was told that this is so the item can be traced if stolen? Does anyone know if that number can track down the owner? Or is that pretty much worthless if the ring has been resold?

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure about the diamonds, but all high school and college rings ordered come with FREE engraving of the student's name or initials. Most opt for the name.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I know many class rings have the name of the student engraved inside the ring. But you rarely hear about expensive rings being engraved with the purchaser's name? I've only heard of two wedding bands engraved with the owners name. Any ideas on why this is?

Second part of the question...I know that many diamonds are engraved with a serial number. I was told that this is so the item can be traced if stolen? Does anyone know if that number can track down the owner? Or is that pretty much worthless if the ring has been resold?

VERY GOOD QUESTION. This subject/question came up a while back, and the concept of etched/inscripted diamonds came up. Yes, it's true, there is a etched serial # on the higher end stones (we're talking perhaps bigger diamonds, 1k or more? I dunno, maybe a jeweler can chime in here?). They're only visible under a microscope (or super high-powered loop?) Not only for purposes of "theft", but simply for when a person insures a ring, this might be required by the insurer. Or for purposes of authenticity, it tells the origin (which mine, etc....). But there's nothing to stop it from being traced through to the end buyer, if it has a serial #, eh?

I think it used to be only an option for if the buyer requested it (like when you bought it, or if you elected it, etc...) And needless to say, it's a fairly new procedure. But may be becoming common, in the high tech age we live in, to put those on to any diamond being put on the market (verses a mere 10 yrs. ago, when it was a major big expensive deal perhaps).

Does anyone remember the thread on this subject before? Does anyone know any gemologists who can comment on when this came about, how wide-spread it is now for initial sales, and what size diamonds it is for (ie.: 1k and bigger?). And is it all diamonds, or simply upon custom request for insurance?

The BIGGER question is, what happens if one of us md'rs is trying to sell such a thing, that turns out to have been engraved? This then goes back to multiple threads on "lost & found" laws in each state, and people's supposed obligation to turn any valuable over a certain dollar value over to police for proper disposal, blah blah blah. I can certainly see how if you or I were trying to sell something to a middle-man stone-buyer, and the serial # came back "lost or stolen", then presto, I suppose you'd be in hot water ?

Interesting subject.

johnnydarms

Greenie
Oct 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend of mine that designs and makes high end custom jewelry. It might be a few days before I can talk with him seeing how I am working long nights and sleeping days. I will piont him to this thread to see if he can't answer these questions.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mzjavert;3017347 I've only heard of two wedding bands engraved with the owners name. Any ideas on why this is? [/QUOTE said:
Maybe because they are ashamed, or embarrassed to admit who they married :laughing7:

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the thoughts. I guess my imagination got to working while reading about another high-end diamond ring that a fellow MDist found. (Something I hope to do soon. :occasion14:) I realized that if you are spending thousands on a ring, why wouldn't you want to at least engrave your name inside so it might be returned if lost? So I thought I'd ask the experts here. The most expensive piece of jewelry I've ever purchased is my college class ring and I've got my name in center.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread