Question about how to get GPS coordinates

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There used to be an option on Topozone's website, where you could hover the cursor over a point on the topographic map, and it would tell you the exact GPS coordinates for the spot your cursor was over. Then you could plug those coordinates into your GPS, and simply go to the exact spot in the wilderness.

However, topozone website has long since gone to a pay-site.

Is there an other free website out there that allows a person to do this old topozone trick?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It allows you to put a pin on the spot interested in and also has satellite hybrid, terrain, topo, Nexrad, maplink, etc.

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Earth will give you the coordinates.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thanx guys! Turns out that ...... yes ..... google earth will allow that technology, to hover your cursor over a spot, while it reads out the gps. However, Google Earth is a processor heavy standalone program on your hard drive and needs a web connect to get information. Google Maps is a website based program so that you only need an internet browser and connection to use. I personally never got google earth. Tried one time, but my lack-of-tech-suave got me bogged down in all the loading process, messages, programs, etc...

However, here's a bit of news: Terraserver can do it. It's a little slow to zoom in and out, but it works with no preparation. Just click on "viewer".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread