Question About Inside Color Of Meteorites.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from Central Illinois. Over the last 50 years I've found 4 or 5 odd stones. They range in size from about 3/4 inch diameter to about 3 inches in diameter. They are all dark brown on the outside and a solid bright silver color on the inside when broken open. They are also very heavy for their size. Sorry, they haven't been checked with a magnet and I don't have pictures of them at this time, they are packed away somewhere in the boxes of odds and ends stored in my barn. I haven't read anything about meteorites being a solid silver color inside so I think they are probably something different. Any thoughts or ideas on what these possibly are? Thanks

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a lot of examples on line. Some are cut and polished and show color and grain. As meteorites are almost all iron your stones might be something else. Maybe silver. Don't know, I've never found silver, but I know it's heavy.

OP
OP
F

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the replies. I checked the website that Terry provided and saw a picture of what looked like a solid silver colored iron meteorite. I need to find the box that these are packed in and do the magnet test. Might take the metal detector over the areas where I have found these. All were found on hillsides in glacial gravel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread