Question about my ace 150

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my 250 it gives a nickel/aluminum signal. Kinda frustrating.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pull tab......nickel.................foil......lots of stuff Dig Dig Dig!!!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said, anywhere from left of the nickel up to several tabs right of nickel . The karat weight, size of ring, thickness of band all affect the signal.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would disagree with those, so far, who are telling you that gold is going to read in the low TID zones (tab, foil, etc...). The truth is, gold can read anywhere on the TID scale. The only reason the popular mantra is that "gold reads low", is the following: a) The normal size of gold we find, is ring and coin-sized items. Right? and b) that gold is alloyed with other metals, thus making it 10k, 14k, 18k, etc.. Rarely ever is jewelry made of 22 or 24k.

Gold in and of itself (like a 24k gold amulet or ring) is actually a very high conductor. It's only when you add the alloys that the conductivities drop. But even THAT doesn't automatically mean that each gold item will be a low conductor. Because size plays into it.

Let me give you an example: Take an entire aluminum can and wave it in front of your Garrett. What does it read? Up at quarter or half dollar, right? Ok now take a small snippet of that same aluminum can (or just use the tab) and see how that reads. Reads down at tab or nickel or whatever, right? BUT WAIT! At NO time did the composition of the object change. In each case it was still the same ALUMINUM. Ok then, what changed? Merely the size :) So too is it with gold. I gaurantee you that if you find a big enough honkin mans ring it will read up to the zinc penny range. Or an entire gold bar might read at silver dollar or overload, etc....

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Tom Said.....but really, Alot of the gold i have dug was in the low range, and it was all small pieces...My biggest gold ring was actually right under the Zinc penny....gotta dig it all if the area makes since

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What tom said..................... What Cooper said.........What Diggin-N- Dumps said.......What Wayne, said

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol okay so just dig dig dig thank you everyone for the advice 😋

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol okay so just dig dig dig thank you everyone for the advice 

I knwo it sounds generic saying that...But really think about WHERE you are hunting...if you are at a place where Gold is often lost...Swimming areas, ballfields....the i would for sure dig it all...but if you are at some trashy park where you can see pulltabs littered everywhere...I personally wouldn't waste my time.

gold luck man!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
diggum-in-dumps is right: The trick to finding gold is not to simply lower your disc, and dig trash till your arms fall off. It's more a function of WHERE you are hunting that dictates. Because it's already a GIVEN that gold jewelry (most of it) is low conductors. So hit swimming beaches, sand volley-ball courts, wrestle pits, etc..... Not junky blighted parks. Junky blighted parks are for cherry picking the old silver coins IMHO :)

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh great I didn't think about it that way that's a great idea thank you guys!!:)

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How can I get greater depth detection with my 150?

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Unfortunately with your 150 only having Nickle, rings,, coins and iron as target ID combined with not having a pinpoint feature to tell size you will need to just dig about any target that is a steady ID without fluctuation. Rapid fluctuation will almost always indicate a trash target or rusted iron.

With that being said gold rings and larger jewelry should show as rings. Small gold items such as thin gold woman's rings and such size items will show Nickle. Silver jewelry and carbide rings will show as coins.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Buy a bigger coil.

Like he said really the only way to increase a Detectors depth ability is to buy a larger coil but for the money that you will spend do not buy one for the 150 as it is a very limited machine. It will be fun for you but save and buy your next detector once you decide to upgrade if not you will be disappointed with the money that you spent and the performance changes with the new coil

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Like he said really the only way to increase a Detectors depth ability is to buy a larger coil but for the money that you will spend do not buy one for the 150 as it is a very limited machine. It will be fun for you but save and buy your next detector once you decide to upgrade if not you will be disappointed with the money that you spent and the performance changes with the new coil

yes. What fire-guy said. And while it's true that larger coils go deeper, keep in mind that they do so, with a "point of diminishing returns" on coin-sized items. In other words: at a certain point of increasingly larger coil sizes, you only get large objects deeper, not small (coin-sized) objects deeper. Like, if you increased up to 12 or 15" coil size, you might get deeper on jar sized items, but not on coin sized items. The usual point of diminishing returns on regular machines is around 10 or 11" inches (although certain machines are fabled to go up to 15" coils before hitting that "point").

Other drawbacks to bigger coils are: fishier pinpointing, more masking, etc...

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experience, gold is everywhere on the ID display and nowhere in the ground.

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I have gotten more familiar with my md iv been ignoring hits that fluctuate between nickel and ptab if I get a target just registering ptab the odds are greater to be something worth digging? Since there's no fluctuation?

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only had my 250 for a couple months. If I am searching somewhere likely to have gold or silver I will dig any signal besides iron. Most of the time I can hazard a fairly close guess as to what the target is, but I always want to make sure.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I have only had my 250 for a couple months. If I am searching somewhere likely to have gold or silver I will dig any signal besides iron. Most of the time I can hazard a fairly close guess as to what the target is, but I always want to make sure.

Have you found any instance where a speratic target ID is anything but trash targets. Seems like the ace for me will steadily remain in one id at most 2 for good targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread