Question about my TV

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess you need to find a Friend that plays video games the Has a WII who has violent issues while playing have him throw the controller through the screen!!!! :notworthy:

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good
SEROUSLY.......
If you don't want to fork out $30-$40 for a degaussing coil, Here is a cheap solution.

First of all I used to work in a TV shop many years ago. The degaussing coil is just a coil of 20-24 gauge wire (about 200 feet or so) wound into a coil anywhere from 12-16" in diameter and wrapped with tape to keep the wires in a circular bundle with a pushbutton switch inline with the cord. It is plugged into a 110 VAC outlet. The polarity of the coil reverses 60 times per second. You turn it on, wave it in front of the screen in a circular motion several times and you will see pretty patterns on the screen. While it is still on and you are still waving it in a circular motion, you slowly move it further and futher away from the screen. When you are about 3 to 5 feet from the screen you turn the coil 90 degrees perpendicular to the screen and turn it off. The screen is now degaussed (demagnetized).

This works on CRT's (Cathode Ray Tubes - Glass picture tubes). If you have a projection tv then you are on your own.

Now the poor mans degausser.....

Get your trusty Black & Decker electric hand drill, a 1/4" wooden dowel about a foot long (or a new pencil) and a 1/2" to 3/4" rare earth magnet (about $1 - $2).
Tape the magnet to the SIDE of the dowel (or pencil) at one end. Now chuck the other end in your drill. Spin it up and wave it SLOWLY about 1/2" to 1" in front of the tv screen in a random pattern where the color smear is located. Don't hit the screen with the magnet and make sure it is turning before you get it close to the screen. Slowly pull back from the screen 3 to 5 feet while still waving it in a random pattern and then turn off the drill. The action of rotating the magnet is just like changing the polarity of the degaussing coils electromagnetic field. As long as the drill turns at least 50 to 60 rpms that is the same as the 60 hz polarity shift of the coil. Sometimes faster is better. It makes a smaller footprint on the screen than a 12-16" coil, but it still works.

Don't be tempted to see if the magnet will just stick to the screen. There is a metal mask behind the glass that has holes in it for the electron beams to hit the screen phospher. Putting the magnet up close to the screen without it turning CAN cause PERMANENT DAMAGE that can't be fixed.

If you have an old 3 1/2" computer hard drive that you don't want anymore, you can disassemble it and get the magnet from the head actuator. It is usually bonded to a metal arm. You can leave it on that arm and just tape it to the dowel.

WARNING: these magnets can pinch fingers if you get them between the magnet and any metal surface like a filing cabinet or metal door. Trust me - it hurts like a son of a gun. :o

Good luck !

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok you guys are missing the point of this post. Can't you see that Mighty AP was looking for a way to justify the purchase of a new TV to his girlfriend BY WAY OF THIS POST?
He wants to show her that all of us tech savvy guys on that metal detectoring interweb site believe that the old boat anchor is fried.
Will everyone who has offered tips on restoring the picture please remove your posts? He has to show her something that helps his cause so all your hints, tips and tricks are only prolonging his suffering.
He needed our help and we failed.
AP, when you have enough posts telling you to buy new, I'll remove this post as well.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well try this. Junk it when she ain't there. When she asks about it say you saw a Sally Struthers commercial on TV and decided to give it away to some village in Africa. She'll be thrilled. Let her see you sitting there staring at the empty spot. Try to look pious, or something. It may take two or three days of this, but she will eventually say something along the lines of 'You poor sweet man, you really do miss it, don't you?' Don't bite, this is only a test. Say, like, 'No, tis a far, far, better thing I have done. It far outweighs the simple earthly pleasures I might have deriven from idle moments seated in front of a mere...television.' Sniff and shed a tear if you can. She will check to see if you have been drinking the bong water, but keep the act up. Play hard to get but not too hard to get. If it goes right, she will be so guilt ridden she will allow you to buy the new one. Take her with you to the shop and try to focus in on a 13" B&W model. Used. Battery operated with rabbit ears. She will insist you buy something better, but protest that it is far better than you deserve. She will insist and even demand you choose something better. At that point you say 'You're right!' And go for the best. One of those theatre systems too, if you can. Let me know how you make out. If it does work, never ever let her read this post.

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
get an old beat up amp or at least the magnets anyway, hide them near enoughto the TV that the green spot returns but far enough they wont be found, after a while of watching a "defective" TV she might make the suggestion herself that a new TV is in order. Just make sure when you discard the defective unit that the magnets leave too.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sigh, as usual goody aced me. For a while fixed TV's, radios, frigies, auto engines, electrical work, etc, etc. to keep beans in the pot while TH-ing. All tv's, except for the vintage ones, have an auto degaussing feature, many upon starting, others upon shutting down. Some early computer monitors also have this feature, some even manual.

However, most missed the point, you now know how to make it chronic, just move your speakers next to the screen briefly daily before your GF arrives.

Don Jose de La Mancha

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
I kinda forgot about the green spot, guess I was used to it already. The girlfriend just came in as Im playin on my computer, stood there lookin at the TV for a minute then said "The green spot is gone!" She smiled at me then walked out of the room. DAMNIT! She is right...........the TV picture is once again perfect. I guess the only way Im getting a big ol' flat screen in my office is to sell off a couple detectors & frankly, I dont see THAT happening! :(

Or sell a couple of your axes. Unless of course they are Gibsons.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice big flat screen is almost a no brainer now they've dropped so much! I paid over 2k for my 42" plasma and it was tough, but it sure didn't take me long to know that I would do it again if need be. Now that it has dropped to under a grand I feel like a fool for having purchased the extended warranty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread