Question About Round Ball Find

rfloyd5

Apr 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I will post the pictures before the question.
View attachment RoundBallWithSpur.JPG View attachment RoundBall.JPG

When I look at it.. Well it looks like a Round Ball. So I think pre Civil War, and earlier part of Civil War.
The specs I know are this:
Weight .3 once ( I used a postal scale)
Size 13 millimeters give or take since the ball has pits. I used a Caliper to measure.
And looks to have a Spur on it. The first picture on top looks like the spur to me.
It is also not magnetic. So I guess lead.

Also Note. The Round Ball was found in the same Wood Park that I found this Flat Button I posted a few days ago.
IMG_3259.JPG

When I do searches of this Weight & Size I get no hits. It seems that Pre Civil War, and during the war the round balls that were used .50 and .70 caliber for lead balls.

Having said all that. When I start pulling up all the weight calculators on Line. I can not find anything in regards to one that I found (weight .3oz / 13 Mil).

Should I just assume that maybe what I found is just a round ball, and that's it.....just a metal ball. Nothing special.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 1

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
There were a lot of hand made weapons made in that time frame..some of witch were never to be made again..

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF INFACT A MUSKET BALL - WOULD LEAN TOWARDS THE AGE OF THE BUTTONS - AROUND EARLY 1800S - SO NOT CW
MIGHT BE LATE 1700S - BUT THAT DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN REV WAR- COULD HAVE BEEN FIRED BY A HUNTER OR FARMER
UNLESS YOU WERE HUNTING NEAR OR IN A BONIFIED REV WAR AREA - EVEN THEN TOUGH TO TELL

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
13mm is 33/64", or 1/64" over 1/2" -

50 cal is 1/2"

Make sure the ball is clean, then re-measure. Also keep in mind that as it hit, it probably deformed somewhat, so maybe you measured a now-thicker diameter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread