Question about Sanborn Maps for those whove ordered them...

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
Question about Sanborn Maps for those who've ordered them...

When you ordered did you get all of the years available? There are 71 pages from 9 different years for my town. I'm thinking that if I get them all I can see all of the changes over the course of 25 years or so. But is it really necessary? Maybe the first year, a middle year and the last year will show the changes just as effectively? This would allow me to get more towns than just my own.

Is it worth getting all map pages available?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Re: Question about Sanborn Maps for those who've ordered them...

Mine should be here any day now, hopefully today. I only ordered two sets for my town, as I only want to hit the older sites. I thought about it as well, and decided against getting all the sets because of the repetition. Plus I have enough info on my town past a certain date, wanted to get more info pre 1912.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

i usually try to purchase all maps available for a given area...it is amazing how much change can happen in a few years...looking at one year, skip the next couple maps, then get another, you will undoubtably miss several business/home sites that came and went during the {skipped} time,and also several changes made to existing sites,,,, especially where there were downtown fire catastrophies, taking out many places......if you are dealing with lewis on the maps, the more you buy, the cheaper he will sell them...i bought a disc with 117 maps of an area, and if not mistaken the price was around 30-50 bucks, making their cost at less than 50 cents each, and it seems like it was 30..........................gldhntr

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Mine were more, he knocked off 10 percent for ordering 65 maps. He also mentioned that the prices were going up come February... to 2 bucks a sheet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread