Question about Selling Mint Set Rolls

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Last week while on a business trip I found a bunch of mint set rolls, five Sacagawea mint set rolls (2002D, 2004D, 2005D, 2 x unknown) and five half dollar mint set rolls (2003P, 2 x 2003D, 2005D, 2006D). Is there anyway to tell what year the Sacagawea rolls are if only tails-tails are showing? One of these rolls says "P" and the other says "D." I have another Sacagawea roll from another bank that is tails-tails, but no "P" or "D" and is in a different wrapper. What could that one be? Obviously they are mint set rolls from 2000-2008, but do they have any value if I don't know the year? Thanks!

Is there a web site that details the types of wrappers used by the mint?

Brian

Attachments

• mint_set_rolls.JPG
    mint_set_rolls.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 330
Upvote 0

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Wow, good find and great question! Since the premiums were paid on the Sacs 2002+ typically, and these rolls have been clearly marked with year and mint every other time I've seen them, I would be led to believe that the unmarked rolls would probably be circulation strikes, 2000 or 2001. I have no idea on the types of wrappers used each year and not sure if there is a way to tell. I would be interested in knowing what you find out though.

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
I Found 2 SAC rolls that look the same as yours this week, one 2000P and the other Tails-Tails also. I'm wondering that same thing. I wonder if it would sell without knowing the date and mint?

Jun 23, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
hey brian, i've never seen any of the dollar rolls, but it appears from your picture the roll wrapper has the year and mint mark. if you look on the wrapper there is a picture of the coins obverse and reverse. the picture of the obverse looks like it has the date and mint printed on it. i'm not sure if all your wrappers have that, but i saw a 2005 D in the picture.

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I sold a 2005 half p and d mint set on Ebay last week for $39. I netted about $13. Also, the rolls should be marked indicating the mint.

OP
OP
kestrelia

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Yesterday I was checking my post in noticed those dates in the pictures. I suppose they're a bit small in real life and in the picture they are blown up. I just expected them to be larger like the Kennedy rolls, I guess.

Brian

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
Both my rolls show 2000 with no mint mark in the tiny picture on the wrapper. The only coin showing on one end of one roll is a P mint, so I guess they are both P...

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
If you don't want to mess with ebay, check in the buying section of the latest Coin World. I noticed an ad wanted to by uncirculated Sac dollars in any quantity. Some of the dates they only offered $1.50 per coin, some were three dollars per coin.

Another ad wanted certain dates of uncirculated halves, included some of the recent mint only sales.

Since you would be selling to dealers you won't get what the value guides say, but it's faster than breaking up everything and going the ebay route.

Check both, it's just about weighing the amount of effort you want to put in.

Of cours, that's assuming you want to sell them at all.

Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread