Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I had a little dust/sand on my detector, and with it on, while I was rubbing the sand off it went off like it was finding some iron. I thought maybe some of the sand bring brushed off threw it off so once it was completely clean I tried it again, and again it beeped like it found some iron. Now, it wont go off if I just wave my hand by it, even real close. But if I take my hand and cover the coil with my hand putting slight pressure on it and rub my hand on it, it will beep (if the sensitivity is set to about 5-6+ bars) This is on my garrett ace 250 btw. I was wondering if this is normal and if anyone else machines do this. Thanks for any info

Last edited:
Upvote 0

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have one of those coil protectors on the coil? If so take it off and throw it away.
That's what happened to my detector- whites.
Fine sand and dirt get trapped in between.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have one of those coil protectors on the coil? If so take it off and throw it away.
That's what happened to my detector- whites.
Fine sand and dirt get trapped in between.

HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!! Slow your roll on the coil cover Fly! Wayne, the sensitivity of your coil is completely normal! Yes, if you do not clean out your coil cover every now and then you can get some falsing, but THROWING IT AWAY? I could not disagree more! Especially with a Garrett Ace coil. You'll chip it on a rock in no time without a coil or "Scuff" cover! Keep it covered!

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check the coil connection, be sure it's tight. Put a dab of dielectric grease on the coil connector prongs. Be sure the coil wire is wrapped fairly tight around the shaft.

Sometimes different conditions can cause false signals. Humidity, ground moisture and EMI can cause some issues. Cell phones... Back off the sensitivity another notch, sometimes you just can't hunt with high sensitivity.

If you have a coil cover do remove and clean it out. I don't suggest throwing it away, it's cheap insurance for an expensive coil. I replaced a coil cover on my XLT several years ago that was scraped up and cracked, but the coil looked new. Recently when I traded it in on another detector the coil still had no scratches at all.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Through the coil cover away! It creates problems. Hold your coil about 1" above the ground when you scan.
What you are experiencing is called static electricy. It's like sliding across a plastic car seat and grabbing a grounded object, only in this case you are triggering the detection circuit.
PS, I have two Whites detectors which are 10 years old and work perfectly. Neither has seen a coil cover! coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg Frank

OP
OP
W

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no I don't have a coil cover at the moment. Also when doing this test it didn't have any coil cover on it. So you think it might be static elect causing it? or possible loose coil cord/coil connectivity? It works good when Im out swinging it. I just noticed it picks my hand up when I rub it on the coil. Thanks for all the info. Any other ideas or confirmation is appreciated

edit: I wanted to add when I rub it on the ground with the coil directly touching grass / dirt it does not false. The only time I can get it to false is when I rub my hand directly on the coil with it's sensitivity at about on 5+. If I just run my fingers on it or something it usually wont do it I have to have my whole palm covering the coil and rub it on there. If anyone could test this with their machine I would appreciate it. If you have a sensitivity control I would turn it up fairly high before doing the test.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AGAIN, it is perfectly normal. The machine is reading the conductivity of your skin (salt and other minerals, iron in your blood and tissues). When you rub your hand acroos the coil, it is like touching the coil to wet saltwater sand. Cut your sensitivity to one or two bars and see how that affects the hand rub..

OP
OP
W

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey thank you Terry I appreciate it. I'm a worry wart and was thinking about it a lot today (while I'm at work) waiting to get home and test / play some more. I appreciate all the other replies and help too.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silly question. Did you have to wearing a ring or watch at the time?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
When I was in physics class many years ago there was a machine that created a big fat spark that jumped a gap. Inside it was nothing more than a piece of fur that rubbed on a glass plate. This is static electricity. Ever get shocked by your car in winter, same thing. I guess they don't teach physics in school anymore.

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

OP
OP
W

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand static electricity, I just didn't know how it would effect my metal detector.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread