Question about surface finds in VA and MD

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I've read a bit on what you can take and can't. I have printed out something that states surface finds in Maryland are ok to pick up. The Potomac River is Maryland. Does anyone have further/different info on Maryland? Thoughts on underwater finds in Maryland? Places where the water is navigable and not owned by adjacent land-owner?

Also, in looking into a nearby Virginia County, I read that surface finds are ok (not Fed or State property) except when on a designated archaeological site. I tried to find a list of these sites. The County says there are 1,500 such sites but...they are not "public" because they don't want people knowing/searching where they are. I'm obviously not talking about "marked" sites or places that you can read about. It would seem that you can't search anywhere as it "might" be an archaeological site??

Of course, my own property (100 acre waterfront farm with significant activity) and other private with permission is best but any info on my above questions would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

discoidal roller

May 4, 2012
Clarksburg, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm hunting along a river or stream, I always carry my fishing rod, vest and fishing licence. I can walk or kayak along the Potomac without fear.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a guy here in Florida who searches the creeks & rivers around Gainesville with a snorkle. This is illegal but he has a little net and a bucket of crawfish and he is "crawfishing". Not saying he's right, just saying.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider it saving the surface find arrowhead's from being steeped on or run over by cattle, horses, deer, tractors, plows, ATV's, and people who never look at what they're walking over. I got run off at one of my hunting sites last year by a ranger, because I was to close to some burrowing owls in the area, but I was to him just looking for some interesting rocks. Why do we have so many rules anymore :dontknow: Heck I won't even volunteer at church anymore because there's always someone who show's up that believes their special gift of serving is how to do it and creating the rules that go along with how to do it. Where do these people come from and why do they have such social influence over things anymore ???

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider it saving the surface find arrowhead's from being steeped on or run over by cattle, horses, deer, tractors, plows, ATV's, and people who never look at what they're walking over. I got run off at one of my hunting sites last year by a ranger, because I was to close to some burrowing owls in the area, but I was to him just looking for some interesting rocks. Why do we have so many rules anymore :dontknow: Heck I won't even volunteer at church anymore because there's always someone who show's up that believes their special gift of serving is how to do it and creating the rules that go along with how to do it. Where do these people come from and why do they have such social influence over things anymore ???

They're called "control freaks," and their egos are constantly in need of inflation.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That’s kinda how I see it especially when I find stuff on the shorelines , the rivers here are pretty much all mud on the bottoms so once the points erode from the banks if the waves pull them out they are sucked into the mud and pretty much gone for good. So I’m doing my small part to preserve history [emoji51]

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This post has a link that you may wish to read. I have this printed in my boat because if stopped the person asking questions may not be as knowledgable as you.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...ological-resources-protection-act-1979-a.html
Good luck in all your hunts.

It looks like section 6. g controls surface finds of arrowheads on Federal or Indian Lands - and allows it. I will print this out as well. I believe most states have incorporated this same language for state owned land but I did read about a disturbing "sting" in Florida (and one out West somewhere). I read something a little different as to "removal" for the county I was looking into. I'm not losing sleep over any of it - but it's nice to be informed.

Thanks for posting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread