Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Deus is 5 yrs. old now - been running in 3.2 till now and I just started having a hard time keeping my LF coil charged.
Just upgraded to 5.21 and put a new 9" X35 coil on yesterday.

Here's my question ...

I've run in Full Tones at least 95% of the time over the last 5 yrs. - I'm really tuned into these tones.
Is there any reason why I can't change the factory "Deep" program in 5.2 - to Full Tones and save it to a custom program slot ?
Any performance loss, etc.

Also, any feedback from people already using the factory installed Deep program would be appreciated !

Thanks & Good Hunting !

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DEEP program run on V5.21 uses the older filters. It's not as stable. My opinion it does not give as accurate VDI numbers. Best to listen for good sounds and dig. I've found some good stuff using it.

Of course you can save it to a custom slot and make any changes you like. I've used the Full Tones quite a bit and my opinion it gives more target info, but doesn't catch as many targets as the 2, 3, 4, or 5 tones which have a more clear cut, dig/not dig indication. So an option here is to use 2, 3, 4, or 5 tones and build another program next to it with the Full Tones so you can switch over and check suspcious targets.

Last edited:

john67

Mar 31, 2017
CONNEAUT LAKE PA
Detector(s) used
V3I, DEUS, E TRAC, XTERRA 705, AT PRO, CZ3D, TEJON, VAQUERO, F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hot program is the one i use. works just as good as deep for me and it is already set up full tones. just bump recovery down to 2 and i run 8khz.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deep uses version 2 filters, hot uses version 3.2 filters. Hot defaults to full tones, while deep can be set to use full tones. Although there is no technical reason why you can’t create a custom program using deep, you might consider using Deus Fast as your base program. Also, keep in mind that the Deus works best with some discrimination applied, I set mine between 7 and 10. I don’t personally like XP’s implementation of full tones especially when compared to Minelab’s 50 tone system as found on the Equinox. Some of the very experienced members on the forum prefer pitch, especially for hunting iron infested sites. My sites tend to contain modern trash, so I use 4 tones. The X35 coil is a great option for the Deus. Try using 25 kHz on your heavily hunted sites and prepare to be amazed at what is still left in the ground!

OP
OP
E-Trac-Ohio

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your replies !

As already mentioned I'm a big fan of Full Tones and I use Gary's "Sifter" program a lot.

So what I'm going to try for now is these programs in the customs slots.
I'm putting even factory programs in the custom slots to make it easier to toggle back and forth.

(#11) - Factory "HOT" program
(#12) - Gary's "SIFTER" program
(#13) - Factory "DEEP" program - in Full Tones ( will give it a try )

Good Hunting !

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your replies !

As already mentioned I'm a big fan of Full Tones and I use Gary's "Sifter" program a lot.

So what I'm going to try for now is these programs in the customs slots.
I'm putting even factory programs in the custom slots to make it easier to toggle back and forth.

(#11) - Factory "HOT" program
(#12) - Gary's "SIFTER" program
(#13) - Factory "DEEP" program - in Full Tones ( will give it a try )

Good Hunting !

Used to be a big full tones zealot in the day. I still occasionally use full tones for hunting in modern trash infested sites because of the funky tones you get on aluminum trash. But for iron infested sites, like to use Pitch with Disc at 7 to 10 and iron volume. That way I get the advantage of disc to keep iron from down averaging non-ferrous targets and get a quick "two-tone" dig-me fix on non-ferrous relic targets. On full tones, you can't apply disc and still hear the iron and the horseshoe display gets funky with disc less than 6 or so.

But as far as you want to do, e-Trac, should be no problem setting up the custom programs in that manner. HH

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
like to use Pitch with Disc at 7 to 10 and iron volume. That way I get the advantage of disc to keep iron from down averaging non-ferrous targets and get a quick "two-tone" dig-me fix on non-ferrous

Sorry, I don't mean to be dense, but you lost me there. How does that get you a two-tone dig me signal for non-ferrous?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I don't mean to be dense, but you lost me there. How does that get you a two-tone dig me signal for non-ferrous?

You get an iron grunt if the target falls in the disc range (with iron volume) and a high pitched zip tone with higher pitch and volume depending on the target strength (as determined by target size and/or depth) for anything reading higher than the disc breakpoint. I set the pitch tone frequency at the maximum setting. It pretty much jumps out at you, especially in thick iron. Of course you have to glance at the screen for target ID and it can get fooled by iron wraparound (but so can any other tone mode), but you can notch that out or just look down and see the 97-99 target id (typically accompanied by a synchronous iron grunt) and move on.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread