Question about Whites Beach Detectors

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI
Question about White's Beach Detectors

I notice that Whites sells two different detectors suitable for beach use. The Surf PI Pro Dual Field and the Beach Hunter ID 300 appear to both be suitable for salt water use, but the Beach Hunter is limited to use in water no deeper than 25' if I am reading correctly. I also notice that more folks appear to use and be familiar with the Surf PI Pro, and am wondering if anyone is familiar enough with both machines to offer some kind of comparison?

I am tending to lean toward the Surf PI, but with and investment of this much I'd appreciate all the input available?

Thanks,
Mike

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: Question about White's Beach Detectors

The PI will have no discrimination, so be forewarned if the beaches you plan to hunt, are chalked full of nails, paper clips, etc... But the up-side is that it'll get great depth, and tackle any type of minerals :) The Beach hunter has disc. (basically like a land detector, except water proof), but will not tackle super nasty black sand. So it all just depends on what type hunting/strategy, and what type beaches/minerals you intend to do.

OP
OP
PMike

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI

I am in NE Florida but also visit the Central Florda Gulf Coast beaches on occasion. I would most likely use whatever I buy in the shallow water close to shore. However I am a certified diver though I don't dive very frequently, I might occasionally...

Thanks for the information Tom.

Mike

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom is right about the lack of disc on the PI's. The Surf PI Pro is deep for the sifting sands of the ocean, but ou could also dig huge holes for small nails and other iron.

The Beach Hunter ID 300 may become unstable in the wet saltwater sand too as the larger coil also "sees" more of the salt and black sand in it's field. Turning down the sens may correct this in some locations, but not others.

I haven't had a chance to use the Dual field jobbie yet, but am not impressed by the hype. Maybe the Minelabs have just spoiled me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread