Question.(Answered thank you)

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Alright guys, I was looking through a coin machine bag of dimes yesterday and popped out 3 keepers, one of which was a 1964. I was curiously looking on PCGS to look at dime values and one particluar dime, a 1964 SMS, seems to be worth quite a significant amount of money. What I cannot figure out is what a 1964 SMS dime is? I read through the description, but there is no picture on the site. Can anyone help explain the SMS to me or this type of dime? Thank you ahead of time guys, you are always so helpful.

JJ :coffee2:

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
SMS usually means Special Mint Sets; which were offered from '65 - '67 inclusive; instead of Proof Sets. They were "not quite up to the standards" of usual proof sets.

Based on that, anything from '64 can't be SMS.

Any other thoughts guys ?

OP
OP
JJTheisen

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
thurmownator said:
SMS usually means Special Mint Sets; which were offered from '65 - '67 inclusive; instead of Proof Sets. They were "not quite up to the standards" of usual proof sets.

I read an article that states this as well, but there were 1964 SMS made. They are pretty rare finds, and there is an article about them with a picture that I googled. On PCGS it was listed as a 1964 SMS which aslo verifies this. It was a special mint set of all the coin currency. It was after 64 that the only silver coins made were the 40% halves. Thanks for the help!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
JJTheisen said:
thurmownator said:

I read an article that states this as well, but there were 1964 SMS made. They are pretty rare finds, and there is an article about them with a picture that I googled. On PCGS it was listed as a 1964 SMS which aslo verifies this. It was a special mint set of all the coin currency. It was after 64 that the only silver coins made were the 40% halves. Thanks for the help!

Actually, there were a few silver 1965 dimes manufactured by the mint, really rare, google it.

OP
OP
JJTheisen

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Fistfulladirt said:
JJTheisen said:
thurmownator said:

Actually, there were a few silver 1965 dimes manufactured by the mint, really rare, google it.

Sounds pretty cool! I def keep my eyes peeled for stuff like that! Im just now getting into coin collecting, and picking up my 2010 red book tonight. I mostly CRH halves and then some pennies and dimes every once in a while. I work at the bank, so when the coin machine bags fill up, I buy the ones I want and look through them. Its weird I found this hobby while working at a bank. Thanks for the info on the 65s, I will keep a very close eye out for them.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fistfulladirt said:
JJTheisen said:
thurmownator said:

True, but I think he meant "intentionally" silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread