Question as a newbie

BILLMCSE

Greenie
Apr 8, 2011
Greetings all. New to the game, I've been searching and digging for a couple of months now. Starter type of rig with a Garrett Ace 250. But I just purchased an EQ2 coil to get better depth (hoping) and a garrett pinpointer. The pinpointer is awesome.

Anyway, I live near an area that was established around 1832. In the park nearby there used to be an Indian village way back when. Alot of it was farmland as well. My question is a general one that probably has no real concrete answer but I'd love to get any and all opinions. Like I said, I'm new to digging. Is there a general "depth gauge" to know how far down an item might be from a certain time period?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net BILLMCSE. :icon_thumright:

I can tell you from my experience that often times things just don't make sense. Last year a friend found a Seated Dime about 2" down and I found a 60's Nickel at 6". I remember that one so well since I still hear about it. :D Anyway, speaking about my area, soil make up can vary a lot in a small area, plowing for crops, freeze/thaw cycles, even burrowing animals can all work together to make us scratch our heads on some digs.

At the same time, if you want to pull out 200 year old coins you most likely are going to need a machine with some good depth. I know I won't, even in general terms, say that a given depth will indicate a given period in history. Others may feel differently.

OP
OP
B

BILLMCSE

Greenie
Apr 8, 2011
That's kind of what I thought but I wanted to throw it out there and get opinions. Thanks for the reply. I'd guess that generally speaking, something from 150 years ago would be too deep for my setup to detect.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BILLMCSE said:
That's kind of what I thought but I wanted to throw it out there and get opinions. Thanks for the reply. I'd guess that generally speaking, something from 150 years ago would be too deep for my setup to detect.

Well, you never know without checking it out. Some sites, for whatever the reasons, also have had soil stripped off effectively raising the depth of the objects in the ground. I wouldn't just dismiss older sites, check them out and dig all the signals.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
BILLMCSE said:
Not really, bill, like digging said has more to do with soil conditions....if you hunt plowed fields the soil gets churned up all the time, could bring some artifacts closer to the surface while pushing others down...goat

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
In the UK (and probably elsewhere too) 2000 year old Roman and Celtic coins and artifacts get dug within 6 inches and less. The staffordshire hoard of gold items was found and sold for 3 million pounds with a 15 year old detector not as good as yours probably!
If you want slightly better depth then in time graduate up to a top of the range model like Etrac or V3i etc, but just remember, it doesn't matter how deep you get if there's nothing there to find! :wink:

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
I suggest you hunt those sites with your ase 250 and take what you get and move on. Then in the future when you upgrade your detector go back to those same sites and hunt them again. You never know what you will find at any site until you hunt it, or how old it will be when you do find something. I have a post in the whats it section titled OLD COIN?. I have a picture of a coin that I found last week with my ace 250. Go to the what it section and check it out! I think this find was pretty cool for my first ever silver coin.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You never know what depth you're going to find stuff at. I have found a shotgun shell well over a foot deep and a 1700's coin less than 2 inches deep. Don't pass a site up because you think stuff may be too deep. You never know what will turn up.

-Swartzie

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I just got an Ace 250 a few weeks ago. Yesterday, I dug my first dime. I was sure it was silver, especially since the school was built in 1963, and the dime was 6 or 7 inches down.

I cleaned the coin when I got home...it was a 2003P.

How did a 2003 dime get 6"+ deep????

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
clovis97 said:
I just got an Ace 250 a few weeks ago. Yesterday, I dug my first dime. I was sure it was silver, especially since the school was built in 1963, and the dime was 6 or 7 inches down.

I cleaned the coin when I got home...it was a 2003P.

How did a 2003 dime get 6"+ deep????

yep been there... 6-7 inchs down for a 89 penny... just thinking about it no real rhyme or reason for it - just enjoy the find what ever it might be.... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread