Question for 1785 Copper

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I picked up this coin today in a antique group shop in New Hampshire. My brother and I left Vermont for a motorcycle ride and hit some antique shops looking for antique bottles but when no bottles caught my interest I ended up purchasing this coin. I was wondering if this one is common, rare or scarce. I also was wondering what numbers that they classify it under. I know there were different dies that these 1785's were made but Im not sure which one this coin falls under.

Attachments

• 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 206

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the choices, and the good news is it's not the common one. Not going to be 5-E either, so it's listing is rare which ever of the three it is that are left. I'm editing this as I go, and just ruled out 2-A, which leaves 4-C and 4-D which share a die so it's just a matter of figuring out the difference between the two.

1785 Pointed Rays on obverse
Crosby 2-A - Rare
Crosby 3-B - Common
Crosby 4-C - Rare
Crosby 4-D - Rare
Crosby 5-E - Very Scarce

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like your coin is Crosby 4-D, the difference being TIA in JUSTITIA is widely spaced compared to 4-C. Now say you got it for $50 and we'll call that a great deal!

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Thanks, That is the info I was looking for. I dug a 1783 Nova near or on a old revolutionary military road here in Vermont a few years ago. It was my second time out with my new metal detector. The coin was so worn it took a week to figure out what it was. Ive had a liking for the nova ever since. I direct most of my collecting to antique bottles and have a fairly large collection of indian artifacts that I have found in the field consisting of arrowheads, spearpoints and other stone tools. I have a small coin collection that my dad gave me and I have added eight colonial coppers to it in the past few years. Someday when time permits I would like to go through the collection and find out what I really have. I picked up this 1785 for $63.00. There was another one that was a 1783 that I saw for $90.00 but it had quite a bit of corrosion.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
undertaker said:
Thanks, That is the info I was looking for. I dug a 1783 Nova near or on a old revolutionary military road here in Vermont a few years ago. It was my second time out with my new metal detector. The coin was so worn it took a week to figure out what it was. Ive had a liking for the nova ever since. I direct most of my collecting to antique bottles and have a fairly large collection of indian artifacts that I have found in the field consisting of arrowheads, spearpoints and other stone tools. I have a small coin collection that my dad gave me and I have added eight colonial coppers to it in the past few years. Someday when time permits I would like to go through the collection and find out what I really have. I picked up this 1785 for $63.00. There was another one that was a 1783 that I saw for $90.00 but it had quite a bit of corrosion.

Well you did great on that. I'd buy those for $63 all day long!

You should go back and look at all the coins they have because that Nova was very under priced.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread