Question for all you Experts

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Would you trade 348 40% halves for an ounce of gold ? The numbers are even, would you make the trade ?
My 3rd grade math tells me if you could find someone to do it, you would be ending up with gold for $174 per ounce. Okay, now punch holes in my theory. Go ahead, this should be easy. Jim

Upvote 0

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok I see it both ways here, you are stating that the silver value is equal to the current price of gold, however considering you found these coins and your invetment in them is face value. However the metal value far exceeds the face value so to claim you could buy 1 oz of gold for less than 200 usd is flawed. If one could find this trade for clad halves then you would be in there however there is more to the story Mr. Harvey.

The only question I have is do you believe you will see more profit on the movement in 1 oz of gold or do you think you will see more profit from the movement of 50 ounces of silver?

IMO across more ounces it will take a smaller move to realize more profit holding the silver vs 1 oz of gold.. Just my opinion. Both are definately worth holding and a no lose. The question is which do you want more? 50 oz of silver or 1 oz of gold?

Last edited:
OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what I like, good constructive conversation. One way I look at it is the constant bombardment of the so-called "Gold Standard". You hardly ever if at all hear about a silver standard. I agree with you whole heartedly about keeping 50 ozs of silver vs 1 oz of AU. But, are we headed for an economy that shows more respect for gold than silver. Since I am retired, I figure I am actually getting my halves at face. Thanks you for submitting an answer, I appreciate your feedback and great wisdom. Jim

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO across more ounces it will take a smaller move to realize more profit holding the silver vs 1 oz of gold..

If you have 51 odd ounces of silver and the price of silver jumps 3 dollars(quite possible) you have profited an additional 153 dollars. Now for the 1 ounce of gold it would have to increase by 153 dollars to see the same jump in value. Seems like silver is the way to go, however, I feel this is flawed logic-

If silver jumps in price 10 percent it would increase by about 3.16.. making that 51 ounces more valuable by 161 dollars-
If gold jumps 10% you would be up 163 dollars... SOOOO
IMO its a wash- It just depends which market you see as the better investment-
I would honestly get the gold just to diversify-

Also, all those 40% silvers would sell for below melt, and the 1 ounce of gold would sell above melt- It you could do this trade actually, I would do it everytime-

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what I've been doing all along. I am not fond of dirty 40% halves. I use them as a stepping stone to obtain beautiful gold in the form of early US coin. I have a decent relationship with my dealer and have been buying gold coin for as little as $10 over spot. I'm not as concerned with profit as I'm in it for the long haul and hope that my choice preserves my own and my children's wealth in the future.

ffd

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES I definately would... I am saving up enough for a 1 oz proof gold buffalo (NGC PF70 Ultra cameo)--any year) :)

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done this trade or similar a number of times. Since 40% build up much quicker than 90%, I keep the 90's (and war nickels cuz I just like them and trade off the 40's. My last trade I sent in 400 and got back a 1908 St. Gaudens in AU 50 condition. I always loved this design. I also got back a check for $107. So in effect I got a twenty dollar gold coin that I wanted for $93.00 and saved quite a bit of space in my box. I know have 1 one dollar, 2 2.5 dollar, 2 5 dollar, 1 10 dollar and now a twenty dollar. My next trade up will be a 10 dollar Indian. I am about 80 40% of that trade right now. I say go with what you like. :thumbsup:

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not an expert by any stretch but I do have an opinion. :tongue3:

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
No offense to yous- the poke was aimed at Jim- he knows where the gold is, he's just too lazy to come help dig it up.
HH all, Mark

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I would make that trade in a heart beat ONLY if that ounce of gold was in the form of a Canadian Maple Leaf or American Gold Eagle. 348 half dollars takes up a lot of space. The gold is much more value dense. That would free up a lot of vault room for other things. I'm actually trying to offload 5 rolls of 40% halves right now for a pair of 1/10th ozt gold eagles or leafs and enough cash to cover an 5.56 AR-15 stripped lower that is on sale this week for the same reason, I'm running out of room in my vault.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Would you trade 348 40% halves for an ounce of gold ? The numbers are even, would you make the trade ?
My 3rd grade math tells me if you could find someone to do it, you would be ending up with gold for $174 per ounce. Okay, now punch holes in my theory. Go ahead, this should be easy. Jim

I would do it in a heart beat.

Here is why.

My local shop offers $3 to buy a 40% Half. if I could trade straight across for 1oz of gold, I would gladly do it. Just selling 348/40% halves would only get me $1044 locally where as their melt price is $1628. What I would likely do is trade the gold off for 1oz rounds to someone else straight across.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The American Gold Buffalo is .9999 fine AU, but of course, you'll pay a premium for that one.
This is the exact coin I am saving up for, hopefully I can get enough silver to fully purchase this coin with silver from circulation.
2012-W $50 Gold Buffalo NGC PF70UC ER ALS Proof 70 Ultra Cameo Early Releases American Liberty Series ***NEW ARRIVAL*** ***AS SEEN ON MCTV***, Buffalo Gold, ModernCoinMart
Yes, there is a hefty price tag, but I really like the design, and a PF70 is literally a "perfect" coin, for those who don't know. A PF69 may have a tiny scratch here and there, maybe a ding. Sometimes these dings and scratches are noticeable, but usually not. Collectors are willing to pay more for the very select few "perfect" coins.

HH
Buff

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have 51 odd ounces of silver and the price of silver jumps 3 dollars(quite possible) you have profited an additional 153 dollars. Now for the 1 ounce of gold it would have to increase by 153 dollars to see the same jump in value. Seems like silver is the way to go, however, I feel this is flawed logic-

If silver jumps in price 10 percent it would increase by about 3.16.. making that 51 ounces more valuable by 161 dollars-
If gold jumps 10% you would be up 163 dollars... SOOOO
IMO its a wash- It just depends which market you see as the better investment-
I would honestly get the gold just to diversify-

Also, all those 40% silvers would sell for below melt, and the 1 ounce of gold would sell above melt- It you could do this trade actually, I would do it everytime-

Also, the price of gold jumps way more than silver (ex. not a dollar, but 20 dollars) most often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread