Question for Beachhunter ID users

JohnNZ

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2005
Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi
I have just got a BH ID.
Had first 90 mins on beach - pics later.
Questions I have :
- If i turn Sens right up clockwise the unit hum changes to a high pitched buzz, and sensitivity seems to drop is this normal?
- as i turn sens knob I get tones / lights - is this normal?
- the LEDS do not "latch on" - are they sposed to?
- when switching from all metal back to disc mode sometimes the background hum is way different to what it was before i used the switch - is this normal?
- how do the leds and tones correllate? sometimes in disc mode I get lights flasing with no tones - just a quitening of the thresshold hum
Am having fun though!
JOhn

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I remember about mine, most of your questions are normal operation for the Whites BeachHunter Id II. The high pitched buzz means your to high for the area.

You will get the Led's and tones when you move the Sens. knob since it "sees" the ground different.

The Leds. not locking on are caused by maybe two targets near each other or the machine doesn't have enough info to deceide. The Leds flash and no tones happens when a target is found and you discriminate it out. Trust the sound more than the lights. Each light goes to a different tone to give you an idea what is there. NEVER disc. out pull tabs. Lay a pull tab down and turn up discrimination up till it makes no sound. Lay a wedding band down and go over it........

HH,
Sandman

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Ok, the sensitivity knob...when you turn the knob, the machine goes nuts. if you turn it up too high you get out of the stable range and the machine begins to go off randomly, when you get a "null" (the hum gets quiet but the lights light up) then that's where it has discriminated out something like foil (I dig these anyway and often am rewarded with earrings unless the red led lights then I ignore them) if you swich from all metal to disc and the hum changes, push the switch further to the reset and release (you may have to repeat once or twice) this should return the machine to stability. if you have any more problems just pm me 8)

OP
OP
J

JohnNZ

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2005
Christchurch, New Zealand
hey thanks guys!

Last question - how do you clean the unit - do you strip it after each hunt or only after its gotten wet/salty
yesterday i was only on sand with off shore breeze blowing - no spray on it - just a bit of sand now and then.

thanks
JOhn ;D

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Re: hey thanks guys!

JohnNZ said:
Last question - how do you clean the unit - do you strip it after each hunt or only after its gotten wet/salty
yesterday i was only on sand with off shore breeze blowing - no spray on it - just a bit of sand now and then.

thanks
JOhn ;D
If I have had it in dirty/salty conditions, I just rinse it off, I have been known to just take it in the shower with me! ;)

DetectoDude

May 2, 2004
So. Ca.
I had a BHID and from what I can remember the way your machine is acting is normal. I found that the all metal mode was a better way to go for me at the beaches I went to. You can use the lights to give you a general idea as to what the target might be. Happy hunting and I hope to see many more posts from you.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning the unit is easy. I wash it off with a fresh water hose to remove salt and sand. If you use a coil cover and you should; I used to remove it to wash out any black sand that could have gotten inside. Now I run silicone bathtub caulk around the coil cover edge. It keeps dirt out and makes my car cleaner. If you take apart the shaft, you must clean it of sand and salt every time of it will seize and be difficult to take apart. This applies to all detectors used around water.

A project: e-mail Consumer Reports and ask them to do a study on Metal detectors and why. I think it would be nice to see what they recommend and why. Just a thought...... ;D

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread