Question for Cache Hunters

Steven77

Greenie
Nov 20, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Discovery TF-900 / Pulse AR lll
Hello,

I have been researching a cache for the last 10 years and I think I now have its location narrowed down to about 2 football fields in size.

The cache is 2 saddlebags of gold coins buried over 100 years ago and it is buried about 4 feet deep in moderately minerized soil.

I would like some feedback from the members here – especially the cache hunters if they feel the Master Hunter CX Plus with the TreasureHound Depth Multiplier would find this target for sure?

As I’m sure you can understand, the very last thing I would want to happen is to pass over the top of the cache and miss it!

I know there are other types of units that can do the job but I am on a tight budget.

Regards,

Steven

OP
OP
Steven77

Steven77

Greenie
Nov 20, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Hi Monk,

There is no way I can be positive of its depth but all my research indicates that it is at least 3-4 feet deep. I want to be certain that the detector I use will not miss it at the 4 foot mark.

That would be my biggest nightmare of my life. After all these years of research on this, the thought of walking over the top of the cache and not detecting it. I will not let that happen.

If it is buried at only 2 feet then that would be great but if it is at 4 feet then I don't want any doubt in my mind whatsoever that I will detect it.

I have set up a test garden in which I buried 25 lbs. of iron scrap at 4 feet deep. Whichever machine I buy for this project will be tested there. If it fails then I'm sure as heck not going to use it in the field. If it passes and detects the iron, then I will feel confident that if I pass over the cache I will find it.

I've come too far and put in too much time to miss it.

Take care,

Steven

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may be able to pick it up but the machine won't indicate depth or really even a target you will have to dig all signals especially faint ones. Your test garden will probably give off a louder clearer sound than the cache would so keep that in mind. Charles Garrett put out a book about cache hunting and it has a lot of useful info in it.
Best of Luck

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Steven, I think there is a better chance of this being buried at less then 2 feet, then 4. Think about it, would you dig a 4 foot hole?
if all you wanted to do was hide it! The more you dig the more you mark the spot for someone else to see. If as you say it's in saddle bags, then this was likely buried years ago, and on the run?
I'd say get you a good locator with a large loop and go for it. Look for something in area that could have been used as a marker, and search around there first. Check around all rocks,old downed trees ect. How much time was there to make this cache?

T

TreasureTales

First I'll admit that I've never found a large cache. I'm not an expert on anything. Having said that, however, I'd like to add the following things.

1) As txkickergirl already said, your test garden will not give the same response as the gold cache. Iron is much easier to locate than gold, generally speaking.

2) Saddlebags were made from leather. Leather disintegrates after 100 years, particularly in moist and mineralized soil. The gold coins could be spread as much as 3 feet (more or less) over an area in the same plane by now, which would make for an even tougher reading.

3) Any detector is only as good as the detectorist using it. Before you procede to search the area you have in mind, please take the time to learn the machine and experiment with burials of different metals at different depths.

4) Don't forget to search in one direction, then turn 90 degrees and search again. This will give a much better opportunity for finding your cache in an area as large as you describe.

Wishing you success in your quest. Please do us a huge favor if you find the cache - leave us a message on this very same thread - but use some type of code only known to treasure hunters so the 'man' won't know you've found it. ;)

K

Kentucky Kache

I have to agree that it's probably not as deep as 4 feet. If you've not done much digging, go and dig a 4 foot hole and you'll see what people are talking about. That's really deep. I would agree that a large loop detector or two box is probably all you need. Just cover the area as thoroughly as possible.

Pay special attention to large rocks, river bends, etc, anything that could be used as natural landmarks. Have you tried to find old maps of the area?

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also suggest you grid the area to help with the search that way you don't pass over one spot.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My newbee advise is this. Go with your lowend detector before you go buy the costly one may not even need the higher end one. Save yourself some money. I agree that the bags are gone, but the coins may still be in the ground. Moved around uniquely from ground movement and weather. I would set my mind set like the people who hid it and try and find the exact spot. ( What would you do if you were them, kinda thing) Sounds like fun I hope you find it, if you do let me get a coin? ;D

keep @ it and HH!!

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two saddle bags of gold is not very large to detect at 4 feet when considering its a noble metal. It was most likely intended to be buried for a short time, so two feet at the most. In such a large area I would grid it as mentioned above, and cover it with the two box or PI with 1 meter coil. Mark possible targets and go over them with a loop detector with a large coil. Give shape to your targets using the coil and signal intensity ( not sound)

Also sit down and think if you were to hide something where you would do it.

Good Luck

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
You've done the research and feel that it's at 3-4 feet go with your gut. As said a lot can change in 100 years so unless the area has been untouched try and think back to what it was like back then. Old roads, trails, water holes etc. Chances are what if any sign posts were left to aid in recovery are long erased. hunt it all then hunt it some more. You will do better if the ground is damp. Partner up with some one you trust and double your odds (and risks) good luck.

OP
OP
Steven77

Steven77

Greenie
Nov 20, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Question for Cache Hunters - Update

First of all, I would like to thank all of you who responded to my post in this thread. Some of the suggestions that were made were very valuable and will be used in my search.

I decided to go with a Discovery TF-900 for a number of reasons. The search area is in a National Forest in a pretty heavy timbered area which leaves any PI init with a large coil out of the question. I will be able to maneuver this 2-box around and through the thick areas. Also, I was able to find a used TF-900 in mint condition for a very reasonable price.

The very first thing I noticed when I picked up the unit and held it was that both the front and rear coils were about 15” above the ground. My thought was that if the unit was lowered about 12” then I would gain that much in search depth! An extra 12” could make the difference in locating the coins or missing them.

I called Discovery and said this to one of their techs: “When I walk and search with the TF-900, the coils are about 15” above the ground. If a child were using the unit and the coils were only 3” off the ground, would the child be gaining that 12” in search depth and would the unit be affected in its performance in any way being that close to the ground”? He replied that yes the child would be gaining that 12” in detecting depth and it would not bother the unit in any way as long as the unit was set up properly.

So using some ½” PVC; 2 wooden dowels and some Velcro, I made a handle which will drop the unit down to 3” above the ground and can be adjusted up in intervals of 2” if needed.

The search area has had very little traffic over the years. Besides being a pretty heavy timber area, the nearest logging road is 500 yards away and there are no hiking trails in the area whatsoever. I don’t expect to find much rubbish in this remote area to slow down my search.

I will grid the area before I start.
I will tie a rope around my waist and drag a chain or object to show my previous path.
I have attached a plastic compass on the unit and will search in a North – South grid pattern to start.
If a Forest Ranger spots me and asks what I'm doing, I’ll tell him I’m looking for “meteorites”!
When I find The Cache, I will drive 100 miles away from my home and use a computer at a coffee shop, join this forum with a new name and email and post some pictures here on our forum. (I’ll pay cash of course).

I’ll be starting my search in about 2 weeks.

Steven

Attachments

• TF-900 a 001.jpg
    TF-900 a 001.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 964

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
That's an interesting contraption.

Good luck in your hunt.

Burt

didijim

Dec 13, 2006
Lincoln City Oregon
Detector(s) used
garrett 500xta
the very best to you, hope you find it- 10 years is a long time to be researching, I am sure that it was worth the education too

we all will be waiting,

blessings

Cactus_Cache

May 6, 2007
Monk said:
Steven, I think there is a better chance of this being buried at less then 2 feet, then 4. Think about it, would you dig a 4 foot hole?
if all you wanted to do was hide it! The more you dig the more you mark the spot for someone else to see. If as you say it's in saddle bags, then this was likely buried years ago, and on the run?
I'd say get you a good locator with a large loop and go for it. Look for something in area that could have been used as a marker, and search around there first. Check around all rocks,old downed trees ect. How much time was there to make this cache?

I agree it might be less than four feet deep, but there are considerations of the geographical location to consider. Has this land ever flooded? Is it near a stream or other body of water? What about vegetatation? Is it possible that leaves could have been dropped on this location for such period of time that it buried the gold even deeper?

About three or four weeks ago, I found old shotgun shell brass at two locations on our property near Cottonwood Creek, in Texas. These were of the 1907 Black Powder variety made only in 1907. One was found at eleven inches deep and the other at eight inches deep. I don't know why, but they sure put a stout signal on my Garrett Ace 300 with the Crossfire II coil. Maybe that is because of the age, and lack of mineralization in the areas I found them. The point is that they were found at two different depths. For some reason, Mother Nature can do different things at different locations.

I would err on the side of caution. Use the test bed several times, during several times of day and see if you can get consistent results. Change the metal or type of iron used and do it again. SOme of the printed specs say some deep finders work 2 to 15 feet, but that is a wide range and depends on many factors.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing photos of those two saddle bags of gold coins soon!

Cactus_Cache

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone noticed any updates about this search since the last post was made? The poster said he would sign in under a new account if or when he found it.
~Texas Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread