FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the surf yesterday and it was really rough. I noticed that as I and the machine were hit with waves it would give off a tone, like their was a target there when there wasn't. Is this normal?

I have also tried the auto position even though I don't use it, I wanted to check it out and it doesn't appear to be working, unless I am doing something wrong. When in auto I cannot get a smooth threshold and the machine chatters in all sorts of tones? The battery was fully charged,,,,

Here are the settings I have been running in

Disc = 3

Sens = 11 O'clock or 1:00

Threshold = Slight buzz, like gentle buzz of a bee

Volume = 3/4's to full...nice and loud but not insane

Disc/Pinpoint = Disc

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In the water, try no Disc. Sens.set to #6, or 12 O'clock on the older models. I find that if the coil is bumped on the bottom (sand corrugation) in the water it will false and get the louder tone. I just reset by bringing the coil near the penny in the toe of my sandal.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Excals, the old version and #2 can sound off in the shallow saltwater waves even thought the new one isn't supposed to do this.

Your settings are OK, though the condition in Auto where it chatters, I call it sounding like a strangled duck, isn't normal. Usually this takes place when the battery is low.

However don't panic. Try this first, unplug the connection to the battery and apply Silicone Grease to the threads before screwing it back on. Sometimes water gets at the connection, but why it makes noises when in Auto is strange.

Good Luck,
Sandman

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill, Found the below statements in the Reviews on another site....Kinda sounds like what your talking about. JOe

"I have owned mine for about 6 months now. Took some getting used to as I had a viewer on my previous machine. It takes some getting use to. The threshold does bounce between quiet and loud but I that is just the machine resetting the automatic threshold."

Another

"I have problems with this detector maintaining a constant threshold tone. It continually changes from high background tone to low and in between".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread