Question for PA MD hunters

BowmanPa

Jun 3, 2013
Millerstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Just Bought MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to Metal Detecting and I am yet to buy my first machine but my question is where or how do you find out about where it is Legal to use a Metal Detector in PA?

I know it is a dumb question. I know you could ask people to hunt on their Property but how do you deal with finds on there? Do you give it to them or split the findings?

Thanks,
BowmanPa

sceptre

Greenie
May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can md on some state parks but you have to ask each one.
Check here for state parks you are interested in and contact them. PA*DCNR*-*Pennsylvania State Parks

The general rule is that you can't use a shovel or turn over turf. You are supposed to use small tools. I take that to mean you can use a hori-hori garden knife or screw driver. Rules here - Pennsylvania

I'm using the method this shown in this video.
skip to 5.25 minutes to see how to use the knife

Public parks are also legal to md on.

State Game Lands are illegal for md

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not all public parks allow detecting. Check city codes and ordinances and/or park rules and regs first.

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
county parks require a permit if you live in county its about $20 outside county $40 (annualy) you may also get a night pass for a few more dollars, may vary with different counties, thats for westmoreland. State parks require you to check in a park office and get permission from officers on duty (found showing the a trash bag helps give you and edge). In state lands you cannot use shovels digging bars or even gardening trowels so I would assume that includes hobby tailored digging knives. You can however use screwdriver probes and the likes. Permits for counties are found on the county parks and recreation websites but can be paid and turned into at any ranger office. I got this information from looking into local, county, and state law websites. Also any "historic" items found are not your property according to the laws so any item may be siezed. Any item of importance found you are to stop digging and call the PA forest and industry or contact local authorities depending what was found. Hoped this helped. If not do what I do ask permission first the worse that can happen is they say no.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
county parks require a permit if you live in county its about $20 outside county $40 (annualy) you may also get a night pass for a few more dollars, may vary with different counties, thats for westmoreland. State parks require you to check in a park office and get permission from officers on duty (found showing the a trash bag helps give you and edge). In state lands you cannot use shovels digging bars or even gardening trowels so I would assume that includes hobby tailored digging knives. You can however use screwdriver probes and the likes. Permits for counties are found on the county parks and recreation websites but can be paid and turned into at any ranger office. I got this information from looking into local, county, and state law websites. Also any "historic" items found are not your property according to the laws so any item may be siezed. Any item of importance found you are to stop digging and call the PA forest and industry or contact local authorities depending what was found. Hoped this helped. If not do what I do ask permission first the worse that can happen is they say no.

Asking permission at a public park is ill-advised. If there are no laws stating "No Metal Detecting" then inquire no further. If you go asking permission when no one cared to begin with, you may end up getting a NO. This has been a hot topic here. Search the forum for specific threads.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I am yet to buy my first machine...
Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Top Member Reactions