Question for the experts!

Mr. Waffles

Greenie
Feb 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you determine if an arrowhead is a genuine artifact or a reproduction? I've got a couple of arrowheads that i was given as a kid and I'm pretty certain that they're just cheap reproductions but thought it'd be cool if they were real. Is there anything I should look for on the arrow heads to tell if it's legit?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459727918.750004.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459727936.507323.jpg

I can take more pics if it helps. Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lay them beside a real arrowhead and you should be able to see difference yourself. A lot of those like that have the notches put in with a diamond file or grinder.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than using them to see if they do the job, look at the craftsmanship. The ones you posted are similar to the ones that came out of Mexico years ago and passed off as 'genuine Indian arrowheads'. When I was in college there was a vending machine in the Student Union that sold ones very similar to what you have for 50 cents apiece. They take about 15 minutes to make. I would buy them and practice reworking them, as some of it was decent working material, and good to practice on.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the right looks authentic..... Besides taking them to an expert I'm not sure their is a way you can tell and be 100% sure. Luckily I don't have to wonder because I find all of mine but I can imagine the headaches that come with purchasing them. Good luck more than likely you can find somebody local to help you out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread