Question for this forum

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually post in other forums on this website but I do some light metal scrapping every once in a while. I was just wondering how many of you guys scrap to get cash for other metals like silver or gold? I've got some copper I've been saving from old fans, a vacuum, remote controlled cars, and even an electric hair trimmers, that have all quit working. I don't really keep anything other than copper and aluminum due not having enough space to store it. Anyway, I digress, so last time I cashed in the copper and aluminum I went to a coin shop and bought some silver with the cash. Are there many people here that use there scrapping money strictly for investment or do most people just do it for the extra cash?

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scrap for fun and have been doing it since the early 70s. I always save for a trip. The first one we saved for was a trip to Hawaii. For the last four years i've been saving for a bicycle trip across the US. If I have an end goal it's easier for me to bend over and pick up a can and such.

Last edited:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my metal detecting coins/scrap, scrap silver and gold I buy at yardsales, coins found on the sidewalk are going towards a $10 gold piece

HH
-GC

Austin Powers

Jul 27, 2011
Because of an acquired brain injury I find it hard to plan ahead as you guys above are doing.
So each week I try and get enough from scrapping to get a little treat for the family.
This week we were able to get 3 gourmet pizzas and home delivered to boot.

feidzd

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I have an end goal it's easier for me to bend over and pick up a can and such.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I redeem cans and bottles for a bit of extra cash = instant gratification and usually spend it on the way home from the redemption center.

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy abandoned storage lockers all the time1 to 6 a month. I give the scrap to my son for helping me. He makes a couple Thousand a year off the scrap. Pays for his games and fun things that he would be pestering me to buy if he did not have the money. Best we have done is about $400 in copper from one locker that belonged to an electrician. I kept the 4 ozs silver, 2 silver dollars and silver 50cent pice, we found in that one he does not get the precious metals. We scrap out lots of washers, dryer, microwave oven VCRs. wheels and car parts. Most pots and pans end up as scrap cause thats all they are worth. Stainless and aluminum pots and pans bring good prices, steel at least you get rid of it but only 10 cents a pound. We go to the scrap yard whenever we think we have $300 to $500 worth of scrap. His dream is to find a 4 foot diameter bronze ships propeller but we have not come close yet. Maybe next month.

2muchstuff

Dec 27, 2007
Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I can get money for it I will scrap it. Simple enough. I try and save what I can but it usually ends up going for food for the family, bills or the wifes negative checking account.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scrap about every two weeks, and the money just goes into the bank to keep everything going. Being self-employed, you need to use everything at your disposal these days just to make ends meet. On the other hand when you can do what you want in the course of the day, and still make something at it, that's all that much better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread