Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I made a post in Today's Finds concerning an old copper found while detecting. There is no detail left to make an ID as to the type or era. I weighed and measured it hoping to get enough info to make a call. If it is a US large cent, it would have had to lose 3 grams and a millimeter in size. This leads to my question : do you think a U.S. LC would actually lose that much of it's weight while in the ground? It was found in a corn field that gets fertilized each spring.
I know there isn't a way to test this, but would like your theories and thoughts.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my guess...and only a guess is no.more likely a british or a token.3 grams is like a ton

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Bigfoot....that was my thought too. 3 grams is a huge percentage.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that if a place has been heavily fertilized for a very long time the fertilizer can actually eat away the copper itself in some cases,making the coin thinner and lighter? just a theory,but good question.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks DI2, but don't you think there would be some major damage if that much of the coin was lost? On this, it is basically just blank on both sides. I have a couple King George II's and several LC's, and this one is still just as thick as they are. Just no details.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 2 clad quarters in the water at the beach that were well worn down and very thin, and change that has gone thru the wash machine that the edges are worn away on. But my dug LC even though dateless, was close to it's original size.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DI2, but don't you think there would be some major damage if that much of the coin was lost? On this, it is basically just blank on both sides. I have a couple King George II's and several LC's, and this one is still just as thick as they are. Just no details.
I really don't know what I am talking about:laughing7:But I'm guessing it might not be the case in the one you found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread