Question For Woof or Anyone Else About Omega 8000

RL OH

Feb 7, 2007
I am a big fan of the Omega 8000 and both of the Omega's I have owned had a trait which I thought was not correctable. I run the Omega in three tones, sens at 75, and disc at 15. I use the 11 inch dd coil and have found the deep coins to have extremely faint audio. I use very good phones(Ratphones and Liberty's) so these faint, deep signals are audible. I always experiment when I start using a detector so rather than pass up these faint whines for a lack of a better descripition, I started digging them. I found the numbers to jump up slightly on these deep signals and to my astonishment, most that met these characteristics were deep coins. Last week while hunting a spot where the ground balance number was lower than most of my spots, I decided to play around with my sensitivity setting after I got a faint signal. Once I found what I thought to be a deep coin(faint, with numbers upped slightly), I increased the sens to 83-85. I immediately got a small amount of crackling, but the audio was noticably louder. I dug three of the deepest coins I have found with the Omega. One silver quarter, one old clad quarter, and a wheat penny. All were about nine inches deep. Was it my imagination or does the audio increase at some point when the gain is increased? I found the gain at 83-85 to make the audio crackle when I lay the detector down to dig, but if I am sweeping, the detector all but stops the crackling. PS, the ground numbers at this spot were in the 66-68 range. Most all other of my spots have higher numbers in 76-82 range. The Omega is in my opinion, is the top rated, detector in the mid price range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread