Question: How do you unbend brass or copper?

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently found an old Queen Ann style brass drawer pull face plate that was bent. I'm certain that trying to flattened it out will only cause damage so I am wondering how does one go about correcting such problems. The item looks great but would be even better in its original shape. Any input greatly appreciated.

IMG_8884.JPG

Last edited:

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe without heating it up it would more than likely crack the metal rather than bend it, but the heat itself can ruin it. Maybe with some controlled heat you would bend it back to shape like lastleg said with the vice and pad

OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, I'll try heating and post results.

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
I always just place it between two pieces of wood. Lay it flat on one and use another piece of 2x4 on top, hit it with a rubber mallet. The wood is soft enough to not damage the piece, but the shock of the mallet hitting the wood will allow the piece to flatten out into the correct shape.

OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got around to working on the piece today and I'm disappointed with the outcome. I heated the piece til red-hot and then quickly covered the hot area with a block of wood and struck it with a rubber mallet (per Wldbil's advice). The piece promptly cracked. So, seeing that was not the intended result I proceeded with the rest by keeping it in the flame and using two sets of needle nose pliers I maniplulated the piece into place. So, now I have a piece that can go into the riker box and I've learned a little about preservation. It's possible that the piece was just too brittle to begin with and would ahve broken anyway. Anyhow, here's the result.

IMG_8923.JPG

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW, that hurts! I will would try to do most of the work in the field.
That may have the same end to it but it is nice and soft and EZ to work back. The air will start that crusty what ever it does? lol......
But do this slow, the wood works aswell but no heat.
I'am just going off what I have done in the passed, some good out come, some not so good.
Good luck!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The outcome for this piece was predictable for the reason you stated. Items like this are better left as found. The natural patina is more important than the shape.

What can be done is it could be cemented together with an industrial metal contact cement (the type used to make some armatures). Or maybe just old Super Glue (just make sure the crack is filled) and once set make castings of it with latex casting compound or whatever. You could then make repros out of plastic, etc., for decorative crafts, etc.

If you know of a small foundry they could make copper repros for you.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was quite thin so I'm thinking it wasn't real old. May have been a repro to begin with. I was hoping to end up with something to put in a riker box but I did learn a few things about relic preservation.

Thanks to all for you advice and help.

Sever

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Russia, Nizhny Novgorod
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where that I read that copper or brass can be made softer if strongly to heat and quickly to cool as it do with steel. But steel at such process becomes firmer, and copper (as speak) becomes on the contrary softer. I tried time 3 heated and cooled. I began to govern between two plates, but all the same the cockarde burst. It was necessary to check on something another. I incorrectly did something. It is necessary either to heat more strongly, or it is more time it to do, or to bend more carefully. Here result.:sad11:
IMG_0042.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread