Question Minelab Explorer 2

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
never used mine at the beach but have immersed the coil many times up to the top of the lower shaft with no problem..........gldhntr

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All explorer models XS,II are Excellent at the beach. They can be set to beach conditions. The coils on the Explorers and Quattro are sealed and are water proof. These units come with a coil cover, be sure to remove it a clean out the sand if you hunt beaches a lot.

Ed Donovan

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Back in Dec...hubby got our 11 yr old son a GARRETT ACE 150....one of those $150 ones. My son was excited, used it once or two and lost interest. It sat in the corner till April..when hubby started reading about metal detectors and treasure hunting mag (which he has since subscribe too). Well, we have always wanted a detector, now we have one and it sits there...so when hubby was showing me pics of what ppl were finding, I get the detector and do the yard....finding more junk (nails, window casings, shotgun shells, etc, maybe a penny here and there) and was like, "These is a waste of money. It only finds junk!!!"

Well, after our vacation in April, came home and decided to do the yard again....with each time I detected, would find more coins, then I found my spoon!! Well, it might not be much to anyone else, but it was exciting to me....it was very very deep and inbedded in the clay!!! So, I have been hooked. Even found a 1959 Silver Dime in the front yard, just recently...got a 1962 one also, but I can't remember where we found that one :(.

So for Mother's Day and my birthday combo present (only two weeks apart)...hubby bought me the MineLab Explorer II....and ordered an extra coil (18"). Well, I took it to the oceanfront and nothing much but a couple of pennies. I did the water, where I found a few pennies. It worked great. I had to lower the threshold to kill some of that background noise though.

But I have given that detector back to hubby, it's too heavy for me and I can not get use to the sounds. I am so use to my son's detector. So he will get me one like my son, just one grade up. And I am happy with that. I have had some pretty good luck with it....Infact, in our backyard, hubby was lucky to find a 10K G.F. & Sterling ring with the Minelab!!

Hubby likes the Minelab and has had some great hits.....even though I found it easy to use in the surf...hubby was not use to it. So, a bit more patience and usage, he will like it. He has used the 18" inch coil a few times, he did not find it going any deeper than the 14" coil....I guess once we get away from the beach, the 18" coil will better serve him.

The Minelab is good, but for me....simple is better. It has too many things for me to be concerned about :) And I found it worked great in the surf!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most land detectors can be used at the beach in the water if they are stable and you don't get the control box wet. But, becareful with tilting the coil higher than the control box as water in the shaft will run down the tube into the detectors guts and fry it.

If your box is detatched and hip-mounted, you've no trouble unless you fall in the water. Another reason to own a land and water machne.

HH,
Sandman

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Explorer 2 is an excellent beach detector, better than most.It can be used in the water with no problems but the control box must be kept dry. There have been quite a few which have been modified by their owners for use in the water,but this exercise requires a lot of knowlege and expertise. seeya Neilo ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread