Question New Mexico

mullnax

Apr 10, 2012
El Paso
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is my question. If someone was to find a gold bar around and I say around meaning within a few miles of victorio peak which is on government land how could they sell it. Should you melt it down. Claim a dead relative had it in their effects, break off pieces and take it to the we buy gold places, take it to a bank, have it surveyed. Really need to know the answer to this.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way things are today, I think I would keep quiet about it and stash it away for my retirement fund! If you need to sell it, I'd say it was something that my grandfather used as a door stop and that I don't know where HE got it. Or maybe say you bought it years ago at a yard sale and initially thought it was fake. If there are identifying marks on it that will tie it to a particular cache, you'll have to decide if the historical value exceeds the conscience value of defacing it.

OP
OP
M

mullnax

Apr 10, 2012
El Paso
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah that is what i was thinking grandfather passed away and i found this in the attic with a bunch of other stuff like old war bonds etc....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
oh no

yeah that is what i was thinking grandfather passed away and i found this in the attic with a bunch of other stuff like old war bonds etc....

Oh heavens no. Here's what you do: You go into various govt. officials offices (whatever entity administers/owns the particular stretch of land you found it on). You show the gold bar to various bureaucrat's and govt. lawyers there. You tell them: "Hi, I found this on your land, and it's worth $1 million dollars. Is it ok if I keep it for my own fun and enjoyment to sell off? Or does it belong in govt. coffers, since it was found on Govt. land ?" And then see what they say. Be sure to use words like "take" and "harvest" and "collect" and "arpa", and "cultural heritage", lest they not understand the full ramifications.

Then when they tell you "no, you can't keep it", you will have the relief of knowing you've done the right and ethical thing of asking.

ok, now hurry: go ask! :hello:

Or another method: send me the gold bar, and I'll take care of all that for you. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt. Consider it the act of a true friend, who is only trying to help you out of this sticky dilema.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, your a Hoot. :laughing7: If you find a gold bar, silver bar or anything of value, keep your mouth shut. Everyone wants to jump up and down for everyone else to see how lucky or skillful you were at finding it, but this is the worst thing you can do except maybe telling your wife you won a million dollars.

As for turning the bar into something you can spend, even melting parts of it off will raise suspicions unless you make a ring out of it.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tom, your a Hoot. :laughing7: If you find a gold bar, silver bar or anything of value, keep your mouth shut. Everyone wants to jump up and down for everyone else to see how lucky or skillful you were at finding it, but this is the worst thing you can do except maybe telling your wife you won a million dollars.

As for turning the bar into something you can spend, even melting parts of it off will raise suspicions unless you make a ring out of it.
YUP...paraphrasing Robert Ringer..."your ego is the biggest overhead item you'll ever have"
Jim

Jonsered

Oct 12, 2009
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I sell a decent amount of gold in New Mexico. 1st) Does the historical value of the object mean anything to you? If so, you may have a problem. If not............2) Chop it up into smaller pieces, smelt it into small buttons, and sell away. As long as I keep my gold sales under $250, I have NEVER been asked for an ID. There are scores of fly by night "We Buy Gold" outfits in this country. Its a tad bit time consuming, but you make 3 or 4 stops in a day selling gold, and you go to bed with $800 to $1000. Furthermore, if you live anywhere near the Mexican border, put $1,000 worth in your pocket, walk into Mexico and sell it. They don't give a damn about stupid US laws, just make sure you come back through US checkpoints with less than $1500 in cash. All this is with the understanding that if you recovered this from government land, you committed a crime by doing so. No recovering antiquities on Fed land. If you destroy the item, you may then be in violation of the Antiquities Act, which is another crime. Me personally, "if" I were to ever find gold or antiquities on Fed land, I wouldn't even tell my Priest.

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make Gold rings and sell when needed, problem solved,:laughing7: hey I lost a gold bar up there,:BangHead: I want it back, Please!:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread