Brian NH

Aug 20, 2012
Rochester NH
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro withh 11" DD Coil
Deteknix Xpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently in the marked for 1st MDer: Toss up from Fisher F5, Garrett AT pro, Ace 350, Whites Prizm 5G &6T, X-terra 505.
Leaning towards the Ace 350. Read lots of good reviews and great finds with this budget machine.
What does everyone think? Suggestion please.
Interest in coin and relic Hunting.
Thanks Brian

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with the Ace350 and in two months went with the AT-Pro.
Not that the 350 isn't a good machine but the AT-Pro is way better. I just wanted the VDI numbers, ground balancing and Pro Mode, so I can hear the tone rolling and tell if it's a bottle cap or coin and the ability to take it underwater.
If you're asking, then my opinion would be to buy the AT-Pro.
You won't out grow it too quickly. It can go anywhere, to a field or tot lot. Out in the rain or drizzle. To a lake or pond. To the ocean on the beach and even in the water. It can be submerged up to 10 ft.
If you get one, read the instructions well. Start in Pro Mode and never look back. Throw some change on the ground and learn to identify it then mix it with bottle caps and soda can pull tabs. Learn the sounds and numbers together. Then take it out to hunt on your property. At first try to guess what it is before you dig.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Last edited:

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently in the marked for 1st MDer: Toss up from Fisher F5, Garrett AT pro, Ace 350, Whites Prizm 5G &6T, X-terra 505.
Leaning towards the Ace 350. Read lots of good reviews and great finds with this budget machine.
Thanks Brian

If it's a toss up and your leaning towards the Ace 350 for a little more the AT Pro is a way better machine.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that's what he's saying, but the price tag is over twice that of the Ace350 :laughing7:

Honestly, the best advise anyone can give is either rent, or borrow any machine and see if you even like the hobby. Thinking this is an easy way to get rich is just a dream, and you'll probably have more disappointments than success stories, although those pennies do add up :laughing7:

I'd hate to see you buy a $600 machine only to sell it at a yard sale for a fraction of what you paid :tongue3:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree to a point. But then again he mentioned the AT-Pro as one of his choices so I guess it's within his budget.
The nice thing about the AT-Pro is the standard mode is simple and works very similarly to the Ace series of detectors. When you are ready to move ahead and upgrade all you have to do is put it in Pro mode and now you have access to auto and manual ground balancing audio tone roll and iron audio. Plus it is completely submergible and will work ocean beaches in the wet sand and ocean so in my opinion it is a true all around detector that you won't outgrow easily.
Thats what happened to me I quickly outgrew the Ace350 and wanted more options in my metal detector. I bought an Ace350 from KELLYCO for like $350 then 2 months later I upgraded to the AT-Pro for $650. So it wound up costing me $1000 instead of $650
Someone has it in their forum profile. It says I can't afford to buy cheap stuff. I think that means if you buy the right stuff from the beginning you won't waste your money on upgrades later.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the ace350 and it sucks big time...if you like digging every bottle cap you encounter then go for it...myself id buy a used minelab

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Admittedly I am not a huge Garrett fan. My last Garrett was an ACE 250 and I hated the machine. I wasn't even upset when it brought less than $30 at auction.

Of the machines I'd suggest the Prizm 6T as it's everything you want in a machine, but it's not too much machine. Plus you get the VDI numbers.

Really though if you have a full-service shop nearby, or can travel to one, that's what you need to do. A good shop will help match you to a machine that matches the type of hunting you want to do, soil conditions in your area, and even your hunting style.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the Atpro yes it's a good machine, but you'll still bottle caps, the ace350 is a great machine for the money, and had it for a while but trade it for a tiger shark but buying another one should be in next week., and there is a lot of accessories that can be purchased , never owned a minelab but you'll still get bottle caps probably not as much, I say go for it, I found a lot of goodies with the ace, there's no such thing as a perfect detector, every detector out there you'll still find trash no matter which one you get just less trash than others,AC

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Ace350, that is true, but only if you like the hobby

I agree. The best way is to go is to go to a local shop if you have one close by or go out with a friend that has a spare if you have one.
My Dad was going to buy one and told me he saw some commercial on TV about metal detecting and called and ordered a brochure. I took him out MDing to the beach and let him borrow my 350. He found a few coins and a few bottle caps. I asked him if he ever wants to go again to let me know, he said probably not. So it worked out for him that he got to try it out before buying one and wasting his money. He is the type who needs instant gratification so I guess that he didn't find gold on his first time out probably like in the commercial he saw, he quickly lost interest. So if you are that type of person, MDing might not be for you because you are gonna dig tons of junk and few treasures. Of course the more time and research you do will up your odds of finding something, but it takes a lot of patience and determination. .

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Brian
Definitely the At Pro....The reason its simple you can hunt in the rain while the others are sitting in the car/shelter watching you dig all the goodies!

nowwhat

Jun 1, 2006
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic lll
go with the ace 350, why? finding metal in the ground ain't rocket science it spite of what manufactures want you to believe, all the bells and whistle's on the high end units tell you is MAYBE what it is, save your money and get the ace 350

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nowwhat said:
go with the ace 350, why? finding metal in the ground ain't rocket science it spite of what manufactures want you to believe, all the bells and whistle's on the high end units tell you is MAYBE what it is, save your money and get the ace 350

Couldn't have said it better myself NowWhat!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread