question on 2 cent piece

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
It's been my experience that when you are viewing a coin from one side where the lettering is down, that when you flip the coin over, the other side is exactly 180 degrees opposite. I found a beautiful 2 cent piece today that does not follow this rule. On the one side, with the date at the bottom of the coin, I flip the coin over where the 2 should be facing down. It is not, it is facing to the left. Can someone explain this? I will post pics when I get an opportunity.
Another question I have is this: The coin has wonderful detail, but there is dirt covering it. I am currently soaking it in olive oil, and occassionally taking it out to rub with a soft towel to get small amounts of dirt off. How can I get the more stubborn dirt off of the detail so I can see more of the coin? I do not want to de-value the coin at all, but I want to bring out the detail under the 'gunk'. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

bmanofnbc

Dec 20, 2004
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII & Fisher F75
It sounds like a rotated die, it's a mint error but usually not that valueable. Worth looking into though.

OP
OP
jeric2

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Thanks, I didn't know if that was common or not and considering it is a very nice 2 cent piece, I thought it might add to the value.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was more common back then.

then it is now.

Rotated Dies on newer coins would probably have higher Values.

OP
OP
jeric2

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
I know it's a good coin, I thought I might of had a real winner with the rotated die. Thanks for the info.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 Cent pieces are always Nice to find.

it would make sense to re-issue the 2 cent piece.

OP
OP
jeric2

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
it's not corrosion, there is detail under the 'gunk'. I'm just letting it soak in olive oil for a while. Thanks for all the replies.

T

TheDetectorist

This is just my personal recommendation. Take it or leave it.

Do not rub the coin with a cloth. Rubbing it will tend to scour the surface, by grinding the loose grime into the face. I like to use a soft bristle toothbrush under running water. You could also try using a wooden toothpick to "pop off" the bits of grime that are stuck. Don't grind in there, just see if you can get more than with the toothbrush.

Olive oil is a very long-term aproach to cleaning. We're talking about soaking for months or years.

Soaking in soapy water will do better for a short term soaking/cleaning.

TD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread